Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shorter maxi dresses

Options
  • 23-05-2016 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Any suggestions of where shorter maxi dresses can be got, -- either high street or online. At 5' 4'' and size 14, I find that most maxi dresses are suitable for women at least 6'' taller than me. I'd also like something not as stringy and strappy but with a bit of decent coverage on top.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I was in dorothy perkins, ilac centre lately and they had a big 'petite' section, definitely maxi dresses there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I got a black maxi dress from New Look petite section last year and it's just on the ground with flip flops (I'm 5ft 1).
    New Look has a good enough petite section, also try Next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I've ordered this: http://eu.riverisland.com/women/dresses/shirt-dresses/dark-red-floral-print-maxi-dress-683737

It's due to be delivered in the next hour, I'll report back! It doesn't look too long and I'm 5'3"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Wallis I think have pretty good petite section.
    http://m.wallis.co.uk/h5/products?categoryFilter=209166&pageToView=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I've ordered this: http://eu.riverisland.com/women/dresses/shirt-dresses/dark-red-floral-print-maxi-dress-683737

It's due to be delivered in the next hour, I'll report back! It doesn't look too long and I'm 5'3"

This is really nice!

I'm about the same height as the model (although not nearly as skinny!) and I love it being a bit shorter.

To the OP, Asos have a big petite section, as do Topshop. Actually most highstreet stores now carry some form of petit range :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Oxendales always have maxi dresses and do different lengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mollymaloney

Lovely looking dress-- just what I have in mind. Let me know how it goes length wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

Slightly off topic..but I always thought petite section was for very slim ppl! ! ! ! Does it just go on height?

Lovely looking dress-- just what I have in mind. Let me know how it goes length wise.

The length is fine but it's too narrow on the hips so the slit was essential open at the front and looked completely different on me. If you don't have hips / bum then it could be lovely, but I think it's for a narrower figure :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Percyxoxo wrote: »
    Slightly off topic..but I always thought petite section was for very slim ppl! ! ! ! Does it just go on height?

It's just the height. Very slim people are regular or petite size 6 or 4 or whatever else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Penneys have some that are midi dresses but would work on us shorter ladies as a perfect length maxi! They are more the jersey stretchy ones though, rather than the floaty ones. I did buy a petite maxi off Asos a few years ago so look at their petite section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

It's mostly height, but also slightly different proportions. It varies from shop to shop but most petite clothing have slightly shorter waists. Sometimes the shape of the sleeves or the rise of the trousers can be different too. Technically you can be short without having petite proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 CassieLyons

I have the same problem! I am short (5 foot even) and plus size (size 14-16) it gets difficult! I have found that most of them I have to wear at least a 3 inch heel for which is ok since I like heels but it'd be nice to not always have to wear them.

I have the same problem! I am short (5 foot even) and plus size (size 14-16) it gets difficult! I have found that most of them I have to wear at least a 3 inch heel for which is ok since I like heels but it'd be nice to not always have to wear them.

The few that I have bought I have had to get shortened, which makes them very expensive. With the summery colourful dresses, I'd prefer wearing mid heels or flats.

The length is fine but it's too narrow on the hips so the slit was essential open at the front and looked completely different on me. If you don't have hips / bum then it could be lovely, but I think it's for a narrower figure :(

Many thanks for that. if it's in stock in their Limerick store I might try it on. It's the kind of dress I'm looking for. The solid shoulders and high back really appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭KikiDee

It's possible you'd have to go up a size in some stores with petite.

To the OP, I'm 5ft and get my maxis in new look. I also found 2 lovely ones in Dunnes last year that don't streel the ground when I wear them with flats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

The few that I have bought I have had to get shortened, which makes them very expensive. With the summery colourful dresses, I'd prefer wearing mid heels or flats.

Would you not take them up yourself?

Im 5ft2 and have a lifetimes experience of taking up things at this stage. Pretty much every pair of trousers Ive ever had have had to be taken up.

KikiDee wrote: »
    It's possible you'd have to go up a size in some stores with petite.

To the OP, I'm 5ft and get my maxis in new look. I also found 2 lovely ones in Dunnes last year that don't streel the ground when I wear them with flats.

I've noticed this too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

As some already said Wallis Petite section normally have a good selection. There website normally has a better selection than in store. If you sign your email with them they seem to offer discounts fairly regularly.

I just couldn't resist, looked so nice in the pic that I ordered it. I love the colours, the length and fit are just fine. Only minus is that the front is too open, the slit need not be as deep. But overall, I am pretty happy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement