Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having Trouble Finding an IT Conversion Course

Options
  • 23-05-2016 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Can someone point me towards a decent IT conversion course in either Galway, Limerick or Athlone, preferably something like a Lvl 8 in Software Development.

Im really struggling to find anything relevant tbh because Im not unemployed so I cant go for a Springboard course (some of which look perfect).

I have a degree in Applied Biology and Biopharm and been working in various roles for a few years but I hate it and want to try my hand at IT which I wish Id done in the first place.

Any suggestions on getting qualified appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

NUI Galway have a postgrad diploma in Software Engineering, details here: http://www.nuigalway.ie/itonline/section/221/

They also have an MSc, both of which I believe are delivered online.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Would an online qualification be as good as lectures and labs though?

Thargor wrote: »
    Would an online qualification be as good as lectures and labs though?

It's the awarding institution that matters at the end of the day, irrespective of how the course was delivered.

You are not going to put down the fact that it was an online course on your CV, are you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Interesting thanks for that, hadn't considered the online route. I think I'd still prefer the lecture hall route though especially for fees that high...

This is really annoying, there were loads of these courses everywhere when I was between jobs a year or two back and now that I actually want to do one they seem to have all dried up, maybe it's just the wrong time of year...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I started with an online course, found it enjoyable but didn't feel the delivery method suited someone like me, new to IT in a subject like software development.
    I gave up the online course and when to a part-time degree course (in northern Ireland), much easier to learn in a classroom.
    That might be just my experience and not everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

The Galway on line part time one. The diploma will get you a level 8 qualification and the masters a 9. You can study it from wherever you like. I'm doing the diploma from Spain. Haven't been in Galway in about 3 years.

Senna wrote: »
    I started with an online course, found it enjoyable but didn't feel the delivery method suited someone like me, new to IT in a subject like software development.

I think this is a fair point, some people prefer to be in a classroom with an instructor, so online learning isn't for everyone.

Advertisement