Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lycamobile

Options
  • 23-05-2016 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭

Thinking of switching to Lycamobile. Unlimited national minutes, texts, and 10GB data (no 4G) €15 a month.

I can't find out if the minutes include calls to landlines.

Anyone any experience of them?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd steer well clear if they wont even comply with the regulator:
    Today (5 May 2016) Lycamobile Ireland Limited (‘Lycamobile’) was found guilty of the
    offence of failing to comply with a request for information made by the Commission for
    Communications Regulation (‘ComReg’) using its statutory information gathering
    powers. On hearing the evidence, District Judge John O’Neill said that he had no
    difficulty in recording a conviction against Lycamobile. Judge O’Neill declined to apply
    the probation act and hearing no prior convictions, imposed a fine of €3,000. Judge
    O’Neill also ordered Lycamobile to pay a contribution towards ComReg’s costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

How is coverage on Lycamobile,any where that i can get a coverage map?,plans are very competitive.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ED E wrote: »
    I'd steer well clear if they wont even comply with the regulator:

ED E, what was the case for?

Having said that, pretty much every telecoms company in Ireland has lost legal cases against them over the years.
    CB19Kevo wrote: »
    How is coverage on Lycamobile,any where that i can get a coverage map?,plans are very competitive.

They are on the old o2 network, which is currently being merged into the Three network, so similar coverage to Tesco Mobile, 48 months, etc. who are all on this same network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nicolaed

the worst customer care, very slow internet with long and often interrupting. Avoid this cheap provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭championc

Has 4G arrived yet on LycaMobile ? I found this link - http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/4g-is-coming

I'm really interested in their eur15 Ireland Plus bundle - Unlimited National Mins and Texts and 30Gb Data. Seems like a no brainer. Am I missing something ?

I have WiFi at home so this is just for daily out and about use (WhatsApp, Twitter, FB, RTE News Now .......)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They're under heavy QoS from Three, I'd be skeptical you'd see much improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭championc

So would the 3g be good enough for WhatsApp phonecalls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

So moved from tesco mobile today to lyca. Put credit on my phone. Can't ring anyone text or use Internet. Only receive calls. Won't even allow me ring the 1747 number. Did the *131# and I have credit. Not a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Just an update got sorted on Monday. Have to say customer care very good follow up to my problem. With them a week now and have to say network very cheap for calls texts and data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

castle2012 wrote: »
    Just an update got sorted on Monday. Have to say customer care very good follow up to my problem. With them a week now and have to say network very cheap for calls texts and data

Sorry to dig up old thread but it would appear to be relevant.

Castle2012, I'm thinking of moving the missus over to Lyca.

how do you find the coverage in general?
    Do you get 4G data?
    For the plan you mentioned (Ireland Plus), do you get to keep the €15 from the top up or is that used up to buy the bundle? (I can't find info to confirm this)

Appreciate your input.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Only 3g data (despite them advertising in April 2016 that it is on the way)
    Can use the 15 euro top up to pay for the following month's top up. So works out at 7.50 a month!
    Coverage is the same as Tesco mobile and 48 (the old o2 network)

Advertisement