Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorhome Parking Ireland APP

Options
  • 23-05-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

New App coming out from these guys: facebook.com/motorhomeparkingireland/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Glastonut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

What are the in-app purchases?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Glastonut

If you subscribe to the app you get access to all the stopovers, the free version gives you all the functionality but just the Aires on the map.

Over 450 stopovers in total, majority are free stopovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The app only has 14 POI in the free version. The fact that most of the info is behind an annual paywall turned me right off. At €5.99 per year, its bloody expensive as Apps go.

Most of the same info can be found online for free, and downloaded to your phone.

What are the in-app purchases?

Almost all the POIs that would be of interest are being an annual paywall/annual in-app purchase.

The only things for free are the 14 Aires.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Just wondering if anybody has used the app and looked at how it compares to the free online offerings available - I know - I have posted these before.. . See the links below.

The reason I ask is, looking at the other offerings from the developer, there are a lot of cheap and cheerful 'pop-up-shop' guides to concerts and one-off events - a great idea and useful in themselves. These are based on the vital but ultimately small amount of information needed to navigate a concert or festival that would be easy to find, such as gig times, venues etc.. The premise is that many people attending the event would be willing to pay for this rather than look it up themselves.

It would be difficult to assemble the dataset required for motorhome parking app without a lot of time, trouble and expense. It is tempting to suspect that the data have been harvested from somewhere else where it is in the public domain.
    Maybe there's added value somewhere - ?

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravan...p.aspx?Type=CS It gives campsites only
    http://www.motorhomefacts.com/module...sites&file=map

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Hi,

I am the developer of the app. I feel I need to clear up some facts and assumptions that have been made here.
    SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody has used the app and looked at how it compares to the free online offerings available - I know - I have posted these before.. . See the links below.

The reason I ask is, looking at the other offerings from the developer, there are a lot of cheap and cheerful 'pop-up-shop' guides to concerts and one-off events - a great idea and useful in themselves. These are based on the vital but ultimately small amount of information needed to navigate a concert or festival that would be easy to find, such as gig times, venues etc.. The premise is that many people attending the event would be willing to pay for this rather than look it up themselves.

Those apps that you mention are not cheap, they are free. They are however cheerful and I hope useful. I have put over 300 hours in creating those free apps to share with other folk and help make that their weekends run as smoothly as possible. The only profit that has ever been made out of those has been a couple of complimentary festival tickets here and there.

The amount of data is not important. However, the provenance of the data is important. As is stated on all of those apps, the data comes from clashfinder.com. The data on clashfinder is covered by a creative commons licence and I always provide the following in the app description.

"The clashfinder data used is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0"

Non commercial means exactly that, not to be used for profit. People might be "willing to pay" for those apps, but that data cannot be used commercially.

Sometimes I am the person that creates that data for some of the smaller festivals. I am still compelled to use the licence as that is the rule on clashfinder. Halvin at clashfinder runs a fantastic service for festival goers and I have donated there several times.

The map data in those apps is made by me and I include that in the apps at no cost to the user. That is my choice as it is my data.
    SeamusG97 wrote: »
    It would be difficult to assemble the dataset required for motorhome parking app without a lot of time, trouble and expense. It is tempting to suspect that the data have been harvested from somewhere else where it is in the public domain.
    Maybe there's added value somewhere - ?

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravan...p.aspx?Type=CS It gives campsites only
    http://www.motorhomefacts.com/module...sites&file=map

It might be tempting to suspect that, but it is incorrect. The data in the Motorhome Parking Ireland app has been collected by Ally, the owner of motorhomecraic.com over the last 5 years or so. He is the owner of that data and it is not available in the public domain. A poster above suggests that most of the data is available for free online and can be downloaded to your phone. That is not true. That poster has not subscribed to the data as he stated, so how he believes that the data is available online for free is unclear to me. I do believe that Ally's data has been shared illegally online in the past. That stolen data is not maintained however. Ally spends a huge amount of time maintaining his data.

The links you provided don't work for me ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Thank you PabloAndRoy. Your points are well made and you clearly set out where the app offers value. Sorry if I appeared to doubt you. The data from motorhomecraic looks promising. I'll purchase the app and give it a try once it eppears on iOS and will post to let you know how I get on. Good luck with it
    SeamusG

Wall of text

Just one thing, I never said the data from Motorhome craic is available online (but now you mention it, I must have a look for it). What I said is that most of the same same information about parking is available online for free. Can you see and understand the difference?

Hell even some Garmin Satvnavs now have motorhome parking in them for ROI. Are you saying that they could have lifted the "same data" when there are multiple information sources online?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Motorhomers

We bought the full version of the motorhome parking Ireland app and have saved our money in one night. We have been away for 4 nights since getting it a week ago.

It is easy to use and has hundreds of places to stop.
    It works just like the video shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Le Duffs

I have just purchased the app having been happy with the free trial but am still being prompted to upgrade and have lost some of the information?

Le Duffs wrote: »
    I have just purchased the app having been happy with the free trial but am still being prompted to upgrade and have lost some of the information?

Working on fixing this. It will be 48 hourss before it's in the app store. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Le Duffs

Many thanks for the prompt reply. Lovely app. When will you activate the Add POIs? Bests LeDuff

Le Duffs wrote: »
    Many thanks for the prompt reply. Lovely app. When will you activate the Add POIs? Bests LeDuff

Just back from two weeks motorhome travels in France. Will be working on those features in the next week.

There is a temporary fix for the payment issues in the play store, waiting for apple to review it. Hopefully in the next 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nivekork

Just like Le duffs I have just purchased the app but am still being prompted to upgrade and have lost some of the information?
    Any news on when the fix will be posted

Nivekork wrote: »
    Just like Le duffs I have just purchased the app but am still being prompted to upgrade and have lost some of the information?
    Any news on when the fix will be posted

An update is in the App Store since yesterday.

If you have made the upgrade purchase already, answer "No Thanks" to the free trial offer, then select "Restore Purchase". You will need to re-load the map to see all the POIs.

If you have not made the upgrade purchase then you are free to use the Free Trial until September 11th. After this date, the free version of the App will only contain POIs for Aires and Campsites.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 just_manu

I just upgraded by paying the yearly subscription and your app does not have the additional information as promised.
    I will be reporting your app to apple in next 24 hrs if not resolved. Please respond.

just_manu wrote: »
    I just upgraded by paying the yearly subscription and your app does not have the additional information as promised.
    I will be reporting your app to apple in next 24 hrs if not resolved. Please respond.

The app recently broke and we are actively working on an update for the App store. It will be several more days before the app is in the store. In the meantime, I would suggest you request a refund from apple.

It is not possible for us to refund directly and you need to go through this process:
    http://www.imore.com/how-to-get-refund-itunes-app-store

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Updated version in the App Store, fully functional.

• Advertisement
Advertisement