Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refitting windows in static caravan, what sealant to use?

Options
  • 23-05-2016 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

I,m replacing all the window trim on a very old static caravan. I've done all the opening windows and that was easy as the trim just goes around the edge of the opening.

Now I'm doing the larger fixed windows and have to take them out to replace the trim. I've got one out can replace the trim easily enough but then need to seal the aluminium frame back in. So whats the recommended sealant? I'd like to know what the grey gunk that was on their before because after 20 plus years it was still very flexible. I can obviously use silicon of some kind but is there one thats recommended?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

my3cents wrote: »
    I,m replacing all the window trim on a very old static caravan. I've done all the opening windows and that was easy as the trim just goes around the edge of the opening.

Now I'm doing the larger fixed windows and have to take them out to replace the trim. I've got one out can replace the trim easily enough but then need to seal the aluminium frame back in. So whats the recommended sealant? I'd like to know what the grey gunk that was on their before because after 20 plus years it was still very flexible. I can obviously use silicon of some kind but is there one thats recommended?

Most silicones are acid curing and will corrode the aluminium.

Non setting original seal was butyl mastic, you can buy it in tape rolls, or tubes, it only works reliably as a gasket when you can clamp it tightly between two surfaces.

If you're going with a setting sealant wurth bond and seal as recommended by Aidan_M_M is fantasic stuff its about €9.80 a tube to the public at wurth.

Advertisement