Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Married and on Job seekers (casual employment)

Options
  • 23-05-2016 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am just wondering im getting married this summer.
    I am currently working on casual contract. So some weeks I work some I dont and some I work full time and claim nothing.

If I get married, will I completely lose my job seekers payment as part of my casual employment (for the days that I dont work)??

Or would I completely lose it. My partner works casual too, but mostly full time on a basic hourly wage, but not always.

Does anyone know any fact or been in this situation.
    any info I find online is very unclear. If they take into account what he earns. does it have to be permanent or salary etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,733 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you living together at the moment? If you are, then marriage should not change anything.

If you are not, then his income will have an effect if you are on Job Seekers Allowance, but not if you are still on Job Seekers Benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jamesdublin12

we dont live together now, we did... and after the wedding we wont be.. we both cant afford too. id to move into mothers cos of the costs of rents and he is in a room in another house.

So we didnt before, and wont after.

So what would happen there. I think im on the allowance cos I work few days.

You'd need to go and ask Welfare about your case - I'm not sure if the rules for where a couple are married and don't live together are published.

(There are probably published rules for cases where a couple are still legally married but no longer live together - but your case is different to that).

Maybe cos I have it now, it might not change after were married.

As it stands we both dont earn enough to live together. What are we gonna do then if they take off my wages, and I only work the 12 huours or so a week and no job seekers allowance for the days not working.

It doesnt make sense. How will we ever live together. Its making me very depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

With the money you both are using to get married would it not be more sensible to use this money to set up a home for you both first? I might be completely missing something here that's making marriage a necessity at this stage so apologies if that's the case. Why get married if there's a possibility that it'll negate some of your benefits?

• Advertisement

Go and talk to them. If you don't like the answer, then try talking to Citizen's Information and get them to help you put your case to Welfare.

I know it's not easy, but your best option to afford to live together is get a better job with more hours. You shoud not have to rely on Welfare.

I dont want to, but Im trying to get work, and I cant find anything even doing interviews. its harder than u think.
    that my plan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Moved from work and jobs.

I can't believe I'll get nothing if I'm on social welfare mow job seekers and don't get a job after married. I'm in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I can't believe I'll get nothing if I'm on social welfare mow job seekers and don't get a job after married. I'm in shock.

I'm not sure why it is a shock. The household income increases as your partner's earnings will also be taken into account when you are getting assessed. Your living arrangements will matter none as you will be legally married and sharing your finances as per the laws definition of marriage.

• Advertisement

We can't afford to live as it is. We can't qfdors to live together as it is. How will we ever if they take money off us after I'm married it's ridiculous... Better we love together and don't marry.
    They only took my income into account when assessing me then first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

We can't afford to live as it is. We can't qfdors to live together as it is. How will we ever if they take money off us after I'm married it's ridiculous... Better we love together and don't marry.
    They only took my income into account when assessing me then first time.

Not being smart or anything but there's many full time working married couples out there who are in the same boat. It may come as a shock but it isn't the States job to fund a luxurious lifestyle for people on Welfare.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Who told you you would get nothing?

van_beano wrote: »
    Not being smart or anything but there's many full time working married couples out there who are in the same boat. It may come as a shock but it isn't the States job to fund a luxurious lifestyle for people on Welfare.

Who said I'd a luxiourios lifestyle don't be assumptions.
    I said bedoremmm at present we can't live together cos of the costs and I'm on casual contract (exploitive)
    So I'm looking for full time work but stressed if I can't get if we can't afford to pay our bills abs live together now. I don't see how taking money off me every week after I'm marries is gonna help us have a basic human right do a roof over our heads

Who said I'd a luxiourios lifestyle don't be assumptions.
    I said bedoremmm at present we can't live together cos of the costs and I'm on casual contract (exploitive)
    So I'm looking for full time work but stressed if I can't get if we can't afford to pay our bills abs live together now. I don't see how taking money off me every week after I'm marries is gonna help us have a basic human right do a roof over our heads

Eh you do both have a roof over your heads at the moment?

And if you are married both your incomes are counted, if your OH income is so high that you would not get social welfare, then perhaps look at how you both spend at the moment?

Could he move into your mothers or you into his room?

If you are in Dublin there is a fair bit of work around, I was in Pavilions in Swords today and in Swords main street and there are a lot of signs up advertising for staff.

Stheno wrote: »
    Eh you do both have a roof over your heads at the moment?

And if you are married both your incomes are counted, if your OH income is so high that you would not get social welfare, then perhaps look at how you both spend at the moment?

Could he move into your mothers or you into his room?

If you are in Dublin there is a fair bit of work around, I was in Pavilions in Swords today and in Swords main street and there are a lot of signs up advertising for staff.

We can just about pay our rent. If we lost my money he only earns 250 to 300 a week depending what he works so of I didn't find work (I do work some hours at the moment)
    I'd lose all that abs we wouldn't be able to afford our pay.
    We both rent. I rent from a family member and wouldn't be able to afford OT. We would only afford Una rent never mind bills or food or transport to abs from work etc.

We can just about pay our rent. If we lost my money he only earns 250 to 300 a week depending what he works so of I didn't find work (I do work some hours at the moment)
    I'd lose all that abs we wouldn't be able to afford our pay.
    We both rent. I rent from a family member and wouldn't be able to afford OT. We would only afford Una rent never mind bills or food or transport to abs from work etc.

I can't understand the latter half of your post or who Una is tbh.

Did you google JSA means test and put your individual figures for you and your partner into the means test calculator to see what you might be due?

I can't understand the latter half of your post or who Una is tbh.

Did you google JSA means test and put your individual figures for you and your partner into the means test calculator to see what you might be due?

Yeah but you'd Nees a degree to try work it out 😂

Yeah but you'd Nees a degree to try work it out 😂

It's really not that difficult if you make an effort.

If your partner is earning 250-300 per week, then it's likely you will qualify for some payment.

It's also likely unless he works full time (over 30 hours a week) that you will qualify for rent assistance.

You need to spend a bit more time checking this out.

It's really not that difficult if you make an effort.

If your partner is earning 250-300 per week, then it's likely you will qualify for some payment.

It's also likely unless he works full time (over 30 hours a week) that you will qualify for rent assistance.

You need to spend a bit more time checking this out.

Where could I start looking.

He works casual but gets full time hours. I only get full tome hours at busy periods. At the moment it's quick for a month or so.

If I go to citizens information can they help???

• Advertisement

Where could I start looking.

He works casual but gets full time hours. I only get full tome hours at busy periods. At the moment it's quick for a month or so.

If I go to citizens information can they help???

Yes, go to citizens information if you can't work it out using the online calculators.

Yes, go to citizens information if you can't work it out using the online calculators.

If anyone has links to online calculaters let me know.

Advertisement