Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Solar Panels

Options
  • 22-05-2016 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if the solar panels currently in aldi for 19.99 would be any good for keeping the leisure battery topped up?

Comments

Nope, don't waste your time that'd barely power the clock. It's a low efficiency module, it's just big to compensate and look like it's useful.
    €8.30 a watt!!! :eek::mad:

30W to 50W to trickle, more for power on demand.
    They get better and cheaper the larger you go. You need a solar controller for a panel bigger than 30W. Which is a good thing because when a manufacturer says "You don't need a solar controller" what they mean is "This trinket is never in danger of finishing charging a battery".

Here's a great deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Wonder how much is the shipping to ireland. It only mentions pallet shipping for international.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

You could parcel motel it? He mentions £18 for first panel and £6 thereafter. I'd be up for sharing an order?
    Liamalot - what else would I need to have the panel you linked charging my batteries?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    You could parcel motel it? He mentions £18 for first panel and £6 thereafter. I'd be up for sharing an order?
    Liamalot - what else would I need to have the panel you linked charging my batteries?

I guess parcel motel would be fine, I suppose it should be no more fragile than a modern tv. Volumetric weight would be around 17.5kg

As for sharing an order I put on a 140w panel a few weeks back, don't have room for another. Thanks though.

On the subject of snail trails, as described in the article he links to the type of 'snail trails' that are known not to cause power loss are the ones where the silver grid lines darken. In this case the solar cell is not obscured. e.g.

solar-panel-defects-mono-snail-trails.jpg

The images he's posted look more like delamination than snail trails especially the second which seem to show cracking and delamination. In this case the cell is obscured.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    what else would I need to have the panel you linked charging my batteries?

Sorry Simona I tried to keep it simple but I prefer making it better.

386836.jpg

Basic setup is just solar panel -> isolator -> charge controller -> breaker/fuse -> battery.

I've no experience with snake trails or delamination. I just know that site to have reasonable prices.
    I aim for < €1.20 per watt which is still expensive by accounts.

• Advertisement

387046.jpg

This why the optional relay is versatile.
    If you feed it a constant current or current limited power supply that's within spec of the solar controller then you can dual purpose a solar controller as a mains charger.
    If yer putting all yer eggs in one basket best get a good basket eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 0kee

Bought one of those Aldi chargers... should have come here first.

0kee wrote: »
    Bought one of those Aldi chargers... should have come here first.

Take it back not fit for purpose.

Advertisement