Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for comments/reviews on a proposed €700 build, mainly for gaming

Options
  • 22-05-2016 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Lurker from time to time on this forum but first time poster. I would not regard myself as tech savvie, but having read the threads here and in other places, I have come to the conclusion that I SHOULD be able to build a computer but I am a bit apprehensive about it none the less. I have filled out the standard info as per below.

1. What is your budget? €700, but willing to go a bit higher if it makes sense

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Mainly gaming e.g. Fallout 4, but also to be used as a personal computer for a teenager for school related stuff

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Not sure, have access to a choice of 2 redundant 32’ TVs - a Samsung LE32A451C1 and a Nordmende NM3296M4

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Output is likely to be as per above if it makes sense, I think both are down as 1366 x 768 resolution. Not looking to upgrade unless necessary.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not really because I don’t really know how to do it and if it makes sense!

8. How can you pay? Credit Card/ Debit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Pretty immediately!

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Never built before but know someone who is pretty handy with computer repairs so hopefully should be fine!

From the stuff I have read, I have put together the following spec on geizhals.eu.
    Intel Core i5-6400, 4x 2.70GHz, boxed (BX80662I56400) from € 170.76
    Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro OC, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, lite retail (11242-13-20G) from € 194.30
    be quiet! System Power 8 500W ATX 2.4 (BN241) from € 48.50
    MSI H110M PRO-VD (7996-007R) from € 51.73
    Kingston HyperX Fury DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2400, CL15-15-15, single rank (HX424C15FB2/8) from € 30.85
    SanDisk Ultra II 240GB, SATA (SDSSDHII-240G-G25) from € 65.94
    Seagate desktop HDD 1TB, SATA 6Gb/s (ST1000DM003) from € 45.03
    Corsair carbide Series SPEC-ALPHA white with side panel window (CC-9011083-WW) from € 73.04

I would appreciate if it could be reviewed and any comments would be greatly appreciated. As a noob, there could be a great big issue sitting in there and I would be totally oblivious of it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The parts list is fine, 380 will be flying at 1366x768 aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pcnovice12

Thanks for that DS

Is the motherboard spec OK?
    Have no real idea what I was doing with that except that it was compatible with the CPU.

The main thing is that it fits in the case and fits the CPU and its good on both counts

Just had a thought ....

The plan is to get all parts except the case from Mindfactory, but it now occurs to me that the PSU is likely to come with a european plug. Is it simply a case of getting an adaptor for a european plug to an irish socket, or a bit of rudimentary electrical work and replace the european plug with an irish plug?
    I'm not so sure I want to go messing doing the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Just buy a kettle lead, make sure the power supply can handle 240V (should be switching most are).

Replace the fuse in the plug with a 5A dont leave the 13A in there.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

My sidekick has just pointed out that we have 2 Fujifilm World Travel Adaptors that can switch plugs as required.
    They are 5A rated as well but I presume that is irrelevant as the original plug will be fused anyway.

pcnovice12 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

My sidekick has just pointed out that we have 2 Fujifilm World Travel Adaptors that can switch plugs as required.
    They are 5A rated as well but I presume that is irrelevant as the original plug will be fused anyway.

Dunno - do Euro plugs have fuses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Thanks for that.

Continental plugs aren't fused.

Fair enough ....

There will be a fuse in the adaptor anyway ...

The deed is done!

Ordered from Mindfactory, €750 all in.

I'll update regarding how I get on

• Advertisement

b352d6636609597375cf577d7343e622cdf9fbcc?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.giantbomb.com%2Fapi%2Fimage%2Fscale_super%2F2445038-4694434071-PC_Ga.jpg
    The deed is done!

The deed is done!

Buy a kettle lead you lazy sod :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just buy a kettle lead, make sure the power supply can handle 240V (should be switching most are).

Replace the fuse in the plug with a 5A dont leave the 13A in there.

Wait, PCs should use 5A fuses?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Wait, PCs should use 5A fuses?

There should be enough overcurrent and over voltage protection on the PSU to deal with anything irregular on the power line.

Also I'd plug everything into a surge protector just to be safe.

UPDATE

Parts arrived and computer assembled.
    Connected to the monitor & all seemed good as following comment came up
    "reboot and select proper boot device
    . insert boot media in selected boot device and press key"

I presumed this meant to get a copy of something like Windows 10 Professional, which I did by downloading it onto a USB Memory Stick.
    However, when I insert this in one of the USB ports and press a key, the comment simply repeats on the screen.

Any hints or tips to sort me out ????

UPDATE

Parts arrived and computer assembled.
    Connected to the monitor & all seemed good as following comment came up
    "reboot and select proper boot device
    . insert boot media in selected boot device and press key"

I presumed this meant to get a copy of something like Windows 10 Professional, which I did by downloading it onto a USB Memory Stick.
    However, when I insert this in one of the USB ports and press a key, the comment simply repeats on the screen.

Any hints or tips to sort me out ????

Go into the BIOS and play with the boot order. You need the USB key to be the primary boot device.

At the moment it's defaulting to the empty SSD.

Cheers MA

I understand the problem that you have identified - that the computer is looking in the wrong place for the OS, that it needs to be looking for the USB feed rather than the SSD - but I haven't a clue how to go into the BIOS to change the boot order.

Cheers MA

I understand the problem that you have identified - that the computer is looking in the wrong place for the OS, that it needs to be looking for the USB feed rather than the SSD - but I haven't a clue how to go into the BIOS to change the boot order.

RTFM :D

What make and model motherboard is it?

I started in wiki - not a good sign!

MSI H110M PRO-VD Intel H110 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 mATX Retail

Please refer the following methods to enter BIOS setup.
    ●●Press Delete key, when the Press DEL key to enter Setup Menu, F11 to enter
    Boot Menu message appears on the screen during the boot process.

From page 16 of your motherboard manual.

So it's even easier press (spam) F11 at post (first switch on) and select the USB key from the menu.

• Advertisement

Is the USB bootable? You can't just load an ISO onto a USB, motherboard doesn't know what to do with it

the 'pcnovice' is in the name for a reason!

I just downloaded Win 10 from the link and copied it onto a USB Memory Stick ...

the 'pcnovice' is in the name for a reason!

I just downloaded Win 10 from the link and copied it onto a USB Memory Stick ...

Use the media creation tool.

Rufus is pretty good too

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭liamtimdusty

Making progress but slowly!

We installed windows and the pc is up and running but the young fella (who is 12 and doing all the running with this!) is getting a lot of errors.
    The most common one is "thread stuck in device driver’’ then "TDR video failure’’ and most common at first but hasn’t been seen in a while is "whea uncorrectable error".
    As far as we know this is driver problems but we are not sure. He didn’t install the drivers and stuff that came on the graphics card disc nor the motherboard disk as we didn't get an optical drive.
    He has been trying to install the correct drives off the internet but is unsure which ones.
    He got the crimson driver 16.3.2 but the problem still persists.
    Anyone have any idea how to fix the errors?

The specific motherboard and graphic card he got were:-
    MSI H110M PRO-VD Intel H110 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 mATX Retail
    4096MB Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro inkl. Backplate Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 2xDVI / 1xHDMI / 1xDisplayPort (Lite Retail)

Thanks

Pretty sure 16.3.2 is a beta which may affect it but probably not that severely.

Have you installed the motherboard drivers?

I don't think he has but he is unsure what driver to install

Would you know which one he should install for that particular one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Google it and get the driver from the manufacturers website?

• Advertisement

Ah **** meant to link earlier. Have a look at the support page on MSIs website, should have a link

Advertisement