Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption questions

Options
  • 22-05-2016 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi everyone , my name is Clement I was just asking myself a few questions about adoption my partner and I are often talking about it but nothing serious at the moment. I was just wondering if you guys could you explain a step by step process to adopt a baby here in Ireland as we are not basically from this country some steps might change.

Thanks a million for your futur answers.

Best Regards.

Clement D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

barry1708 wrote: »
    Hi everyone , my name is Clement I was just asking myself a few questions about adoption my partner and I are often talking about it but nothing serious at the moment. I was just wondering if you guys could you explain a step by step process to adopt a baby here in Ireland as we are not basically from this country some steps might change.

Thanks a million for your futur answers.

Best Regards.

Clement D

Hi Clement ,
    I am going to move this to the adoption forum .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hi Barry,

from my understanding, it is extremely difficult to adopt any child in Ireland anymore.

Firstly, irish babies being adopted are very infrequent, and usually the adoption is within a family... a step-parent or grandparent adoption.

For inter-country adoption the hague convention applies, see here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/adoption_and_fostering/intercountry_adoption.html

This part is the crux:
    [font=Arial, 'Trebuchet MS', sans-serif, Verdana]The only countries recognised by Ireland for intercountry adoption are those that have also ratified the Hague Convention[/font]

Here is the link to the adoption authority of Ireland
    http://aai.gov.ie/index.php/intercountry-adoption/introduction.html

Step one is getting your Declaration of Eligibility and Suitability to Adopt.
    This is quite detailed, your family is interviewed, your friends, your employers. You need to get garda vetting.

Once you have that, the difficult part starts, locating a child to adopt. Despite loads of children in the world rotting in orphanages, they cannot enter this country.

Having seen the heartbreak in some of my friends who have been trying to adopt for years even though they were fully approved, due to the bureaucratic nightmare it has become, may I suggest you consider Fostering rather than adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭barry1708

Hi guys,

That's a while since I havent got on that thread, so I've got some updates for you, my partner and I are getting married here in Ireland next year :) so we are really happy about it.

We were talking about kids again the other day and we tried to have a look around , we checked fostering but as we are both working we think it may not be the best solution.

We checked for surrogacy abroad but the coasts are really insane being honest.

We though again about adopting and we were wondering if some of you had been through the adoption process here in Ireland and if yes we were wondering if some of you might like to share your experiences.

thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

barry1708 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

That's a while since I havent got on that thread, so I've got some updates for you, my partner and I are getting married here in Ireland next year :) so we are really happy about it.

We were talking about kids again the other day and we tried to have a look around , we checked fostering but as we are both working we think it may not be the best solution.

We checked for surrogacy abroad but the coasts are really insane being honest.

We though again about adopting and we were wondering if some of you had been through the adoption process here in Ireland and if yes we were wondering if some of you might like to share your experiences.

thanks a lot.
    I'm open to correction, however I believe for Fostering, one parent has to be stay at home full time.
    There are some discussions on Rollercoaster.ie wrt adoption.   Also check out the iaaireland.net / phone them for info etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭barry1708

hi guys,

How are you?

Still a long time since I haven't replied to this thread, apologies in advance.

As we were looking around into the entire adoption/surrogacy process, we thought about international adoption, but still seem to remain really complicated and also really expensive (nothing less than 30 000€).

I was wondering if some people around here made international adoptions and how it went for them.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don't mean to sound harsh;

You say fostering isn't for you as one parent needs to be at home full time, can I ask, how do you feel about adopting a child and then going off to work ?, do you understand that there are reasons that someone should be at home, at least for a sunstantial period of time to create stability. I can assure this is a very prominent topic during hse assessment for suitability.

As a hse social worker said at a talk, taking a child from an institution half way round the world and then placing it onto essentially another institution for 8 hours a day is far from ideal and I absolutely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

_Brian wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound harsh;

You say fostering isn't for you as one parent needs to be at home full time, can I ask, how do you feel about adopting a child and then going off to work ?, do you understand that there are reasons that someone should be at home, at least for a sunstantial period of time to create stability. I can assure this is a very prominent topic during hse assessment for suitability.

As a hse social worker said at a talk, taking a child from an institution half way round the world and then placing it onto essentially another institution for 8 hours a day is far from ideal and I absolutely agree.

Adoptive leave is available and similar in duration to maternity leave. Not an option in fostering however.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Adoptive leave is available and similar in duration to maternity leave. Not an option in fostering however.

It's two week shorter.

Anyway it's nowhere long enough for the adjustment period that an adoptive child faces.

Advertisement