Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home alarm recommendation - Phone watch vs Home secure?

Options
  • 21-05-2016 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, I've just bought a new house and signed up to Phone watch but thinking now I might be better with Home Secure. I'm also thinking about getting home secures CCTV camera. I've still time to cancel, so all recommendations and advice welcome.
    Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I don't know what gear Home Secure use, but if you go with Sector/ Phonewatch then you have a product that only 1 provider can work on and monitor.
    You will be stuck with Phonewatch and if you fall out with them then you will have to get a whole new alarm system.

Could i suggest that you throw the net out again and not just confine yourself to 2 providers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 to all of the above.
    Shop around a bit more and don't tie yourself to a system that keeps you tied into monitoring contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dunnes101

Thanks Kub and Koolkid. Are there any monitored alarm companies that you would recommend?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any PSA licenced company can offer you the same monitoring services, in many cases at better rates.
    PSA Register of Licenced Installers

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gleisweiler

I inherited a Phonewatch remote monitored system when I moved here in 2008. The number of devices I had were 50% less than my neighbour who was also paying half the amount I was paying. I had 6 more devices installed to upgrade the system at a cost of several hundred € but I still had fewer than my neighbour. Phonewatch was sold to a Swedish company and the amount they wanted increased to over €600 per year which I refused to pay, having been told that the upgrade would be €2.45 per month. They didn't mention that the figure was per unit NOT individual units.
    Last year whilst I was looking for a new supplier, by chance a salesman called to the door from a new company called Home Secure. I never deal with salesmen at the door but this time I did. They didn't need to change the PhoneWatch wall mounted panel so I went through the system in detail and finally I changed to them, saving over €516 over a three year period. I have been pleased with the service I receive and more importantly, the savings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I inherited a Phonewatch remote monitored system when I moved here in 2008. The number of devices I had were 50% less than my neighbour who was also paying half the amount I was paying. I had 6 more devices installed to upgrade the system at a cost of several hundred € but I still had fewer than my neighbour. Phonewatch was sold to a Swedish company and the amount they wanted increased to over €600 per year which I refused to pay, having been told that the upgrade would be €2.45 per month. They didn't mention that the figure was per unit NOT individual units.
    Last year whilst I was looking for a new supplier, by chance a salesman called to the door from a new company called Home Secure. I never deal with salesmen at the door but this time I did. They didn't need to change the PhoneWatch wall mounted panel so I went through the system in detail and finally I changed to them, saving over €516 over a three year period. I have been pleased with the service I receive and more importantly, the savings.

Thank you for that post, we as professional installers are forever trying to get people to price around and make informed decisions before they choose an installer.
    I hope your post will make some people stop and think.

Advertisement