Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountant's unethical behaviour

Options
  • 21-05-2016 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice.

I get a call from my accountant first week of May, 2016 that she would not be doing accounts anymore - as in with immediate effect. She tried to recommend another accountant but never shared full details of the accountant apart from an individual's name after asking for multiple times.

That moment I did not realize that the amount of inconvenience this would cause.

Now, looking at her actions such as ringing and telling that she would not be doing accounts without any formal notice is sounding really bad on her part.
    I am wondering if this kind of action is an acceptable action?
    Can an accountant just ring and tell that they would not be doing accounts anymore when they have been talking a good monthly fee?
    Are there any regulations/ethics around this kind of actions?

Thanks in advance
    MbyEireTitle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

MbyEire wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice.

I get a call from my accountant first week of May, 2016 that she would not be doing accounts anymore - as in with immediate effect. She tried to recommend another accountant but never shared full details of the accountant apart from an individual's name after asking for multiple times.

That moment I did not realize that the amount of inconvenience this would cause.

Now, looking at her actions such as ringing and telling that she would not be doing accounts without any formal notice is sounding really bad on her part.
    I am wondering if this kind of action is an acceptable action?
    Can an accountant just ring and tell that they would not be doing accounts anymore when they have been talking a good monthly fee?
    Are there any regulations/ethics around this kind of actions?

Thanks in advance
    MbyEireTitle

There are no rules governing the behavior of accountants (in the sense that all they do is prepare accounts). Anyone without a qualification could advertise their accounts preparation service tomorrow.

Is she the auditor or the preparer of the accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MbyEire

Thanks OttoPilot.

Shes the preparer of the accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Did she give a reason? Unusual to turn down business for no reason. If she is a registered chartered accountant she could be reported, however there aren't many members just doing accounts prep so I would doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MbyEire

OttoPilot wrote: »
    Did she give a reason? Unusual to turn down business for no reason. If she is a registered chartered accountant she could be reported, however there aren't many members just doing accounts prep so I would doubt it.

She said she would like to concentrate on taxation.

Yes, she is a registered chartered accountant

thanks for info, much appreciated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

MbyEire wrote: »

Consider if you can get a partial refund of the fee paid for the year to date (assuming that they didn't prepare accounts up until a year end) on the basis that the fee is contributing to final annual accounts which has to be prepared.

But make sure that your new accountants get whatever details they need from her first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Sounds like she is disengaging from offering her services. I believe there is a 3 month timeline that must be adhered to but I am unsure if this is a general rule applying to all services offered.

Did you ever sign a letter of engagement?

Advertisement