Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice moving out for the first time north county dublin

Options
  • 21-05-2016 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Bit of background i'm 29 and have never moved out of my parents home, so I have long outstayed my welcome, and staying is not an option. I live in north county dublin and go college in town.

I'm currently an unemployed student with a year to go in college, and currently my only income is the dole €188 p/w and the same through BTEA during college months.
    I suffer from severe Insomnia and depression and thanks to college see a counsellor but between that and college i'm unable to work full time. I need to know if it is financially possible to move out.
    My only expenses are a phone bill €40 p/m, travel €80-90p/m and health costs which varies.

Since i have never moved out or been away do more than a few weeks i'm uncertain of what should be my first step and where to start?

I am curious to know how much does it realistically cost people who are currently renting a room for:
    rent,
    basic monthly bills
    Internet
    Food p/w
    And what other expenses I should have to expect or take account of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Bit of background i'm 29 and have never moved out of my parents home, so I have long outstayed my welcome, and staying is not an option. I live in north county dublin and go college in town.

I'm currently an unemployed student with a year to go in college, and currently my only income is the dole €188 p/w and the same through BTEA during college months.
    I suffer from severe Insomnia and depression and thanks to college see a counsellor but between that and college i'm unable to work full time. I need to know if it is financially possible to move out.
    My only expenses are a phone bill €40 p/m, travel €80-90p/m and health costs which varies.

Since i have never moved out or been away do more than a few weeks i'm uncertain of what should be my first step and where to start?

I am curious to know how much does it realistically cost people who are currently renting a room for:
    rent,
    basic monthly bills
    Internet
    Food p/w
    And what other expenses I should have to expect or take account of.

Realistically, you won't be able to afford your own apartment so you'll have to settle for house/apt share. Most rents for a single bed (non-shared bedroom) in a house share is between 300-500 depending on location and whether if it includes bills.

Internet (assuming you will be in a house share) should be at max 15 per month based on sharing with 3 others.
    Electricity & Gas should be 10-20 per week but it does depend on how efficient the property is. If it's old, it'll be higher. If it's new (less than 5yrs), it'll be lower.

Food, well it depends on how much you eat, what do you eat and are you the kind of person who prefers finer stuff from Tesco than Aldi/Lidl. For me, I'd spend about 50-60 per week on food. About 20 of that is down to chicken rolls so realistically, you could drop that down to 40 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Have you applied for medical card for your medical expenses? How much do you give your parents a week? Maybe add that to your travel expenses and try to get somewhere near where you go to college using that amount as a guide as your already spending that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Have a look at College Cribs. A single room near Phoenix Park will cost around €110 a week. Also ask your college or student union for a list of accommodation. It's a good time as there will be flats available after final year exams. It will be tough surviving on €188 a week but doable if you shop wisely. All bills were included in price quoted.

Also have a look whether working affects your BTEA, while it would be good to work for summer check you won't lose your BTEA when you go back in September and if the college fees will be paid so do check this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

As a single man you would need in the region of €1,500 take home pay minimum to keep your head above water in Dublin.

How long have you left in college?

I am worried, paddling your own canoe on less than the above is no easy task when you have a history of depression and insomnia, but certainly possible and you have great courage to want to kick on, just ensure you have support and guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 needadvice4me

Have you applied for medical card for your medical expenses? How much do you give your parents a week? Maybe add that to your travel expenses and try to get somewhere near where you go to college using that amount as a guide as your already spending that

I have applied for a medical card still waiting but hopefully when it arrives it'll save me money.
    because of college I hand up very little and only when I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 needadvice4me

myshirt wrote: »
    As a single man you would need in the region of €1,500 take home pay minimum to keep your head above water in Dublin.

How long have you left in college?

I am worried, paddling your own canoe on less than the above is no easy task when you have a history of depression and insomnia, but certainly possible and you have great courage to want to kick on, just ensure you have support and guidance.

I'll be in my final year in september and standing on my own too feet has been encouraged by the counsellors, but need to be as prepared as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Also talk to your local community welfare office about rent supplement.

Just too say very well done on going back to college and getting to year 3

Advertisement