Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed ID

Options
  • 21-05-2016 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Any ideas what this is

386495.jpg"]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Could be wrong but looks like Pale Smartweed, Pale Persicaria identified from this page http://www.gardenwithoutdoors.org.uk/weed_guide
    Have them in my garden too they go to seed the same way dandelions do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

One of the Willowherbs.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Willowherb.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Thanks everyone I'll dig it up so and keep an eye out for more of it popping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭the goon

I posted about this a few weeks back looking to find out what it was. Have it in my back garden. Since then I have noticed it all round the town I live in. I never noticed it prior to this year, is it very common?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

I think I am in the same boat. See my attachment. I am forever pulling these out of the ground in the currently barren parts of my new garden. Note that the leaves are slightly serrated - Would they still be willowherbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it native to ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

highdef wrote: »
    I think I am in the same boat. See my attachment. I am forever pulling these out of the ground in the currently barren parts of my new garden. Note that the leaves are slightly serrated - Would they still be willowherbs?

Yes it's Willowherb, sometimes known as Rosebay. Best controlled in the garden by glyphosate, if thats your thing as it's roots are extensive and it can be difficult to weed out of flower beds etc. it breaks easily. It is more often found in waste ground as extensive cultivation keeps it in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Whats the best on the shelf weedkiller for Willowherb ??

and while i'm at it whats the best weedkiller for...sticky willy (Galium aparine)

Advertisement