Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value a Property

Options
  • 21-05-2016 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi all just looking for some advice here.I need to get my property valued and I have been quoted 1500 for some guy to come out have a look around and give me a valuation.surely in this little <mod snip >country of ours there is a cheaper alternative.any suggestions welcome.thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

ROY RACE wrote: »
    Hi all just looking for some advice here.I need to get my property valued and I have been quoted 1500 for some guy to come out have a look around and give me a valuation.surely in this little country of ours there is a cheaper alternative.any suggestions welcome.thanks

What do you need it valued for?

Out of curiosity, what was he planning to do to justify his 1.5k fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marymary1984

Could you not just say to an estate agent your thinking of selling and get them to give a value? When valuer is there just ask for a valuation written up and I'm sure they could do it for a lot less than this. Does depending what you need it for - a general valuation or written one for bank - just depends on how official it needs to be but would agree - that cost seems a bit excessive. Loads of lads were popping up when property tax can in ages years back to value property for low money - some may still be doing this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The fee you've been quoted seems quite remarkable.
    Normally something in the 200-300 range would be normal (possibly a little more if it includes doing you a BER cert)- not 1.5k

Is he doing something other than a regular valuation- that might justify the 1.5k?

Something doesn't add up here- it does not cost 1.5k for a valuation- it just doesn't........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I'll do it for 1000 euro.
    But seriously, when I sold my house in 2006, the estate agent charged 200 euro for the valuation which was taken off the fee when the property was sold. Seemed like a fair price.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

It only cost me 150 euro recently to have a valuers report from an estate agent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Part of a legal issue is the reason I need it valued.solicitor needs something on paper.1500 is disgraceful IMO.

What do you need it valued for?

Out of curiosity, what was he planning to do to justify his 1.5k fee?

Hopefully he may cut the grass and fix the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Unless he's going to paint the place as well, that's an outrageous fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Part of a legal issue is the reason I need it valued.solicitor needs something on paper.1500 is disgraceful IMO.

Ever think of getting another quote from another valuer?

Surely you know that you can get different quotes from different people and there are plenty of professional valuers about.

Also as its a quote for a legal issue its not as simple as writing something on a slip of paper. The valuer must explain and prove the valuation and stand over it.

But yes 1500 seems expensive. - My guess is the valuer just didn't want to do it and priced accordingly

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I moved house last Christmas. AIB had a list of valuers, mostly estate agents.
    My valuation report was €130 in total.
    Unfortunately with delays, the 90 day "life" of the valuation expired and I had to get him to do a drive by re-valuation for €65.

Just to check, is your 1.5k valuation simply to value the place (a simple check) or do you mean a structural survey (mine was €600).
    Either way €1500 is a rip off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

I had to get two valuations done for probate, the price ranged from 450 for both valuations to 1000 per valuation. Call a few different agents and explain your needs and most likely you'll get a more reasonable price. That's incredible unless it's a very specific report you need done that requires some kind of structural report

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sounds like the surveyor was told a different brief or had his wires crossed?
    No way would someone realistically quote that for a valuation report.

Hopefully he may cut the grass and fix the car

Ring any large estate agent and they'll do it for less than €200.

This will include floor size, comparison with three other similar properties that have recently sold in the area and ultimately a valuation.

Ring any large estate agent and they'll do it for less than €200.

This will include floor size, comparison with three other similar properties that have recently sold in the area and ultimately a valuation.
    Not valid for legal papers. They won't have the experience or the professional indemnity insurance.

VincePP wrote: »
    Not valid for legal papers. They won't have the experience or the professional indemnity insurance.

So what do I need then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

I recently had a valuation done for a mortgage application and it cost me €150. My structural survey cost €500. I can't see how it's costing €1500 for a valuation unless there is some special conditions to do with the house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So what do I need then

The solicitor/bank should have already outlined this to you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Professional Indemnity does not cover valuations- and never has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Is this for an estate valuation that covers house contents or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭StanleyOllie

I got independent valuation done last year E180. Separately a construction survey E300. Shop around.

• Advertisement

Indemnity insurance for a valuation. How would a claim against this be even argued against???

Sure a full structural evaluation doesn't even have that!

So what do I need then

You're the one with the info. I reckon you are just trolling.

I don't believe you can get a quote of 1500 without knowing what you need.

Either you're trolling or you just haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I paid 400 to get my parents house valued, it's going through probate so our solicitor said not would cost a bit more than a standard valuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Cost me 130e through the bank last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You're the one with the info. I reckon you are just trolling.

I don't believe you can get a quote of 1500 without knowing what you need.

Either you're trolling or you just haven't a clue.

Mod note

If you have an issue with a post please use the report post function rather than retort on thread.

OP please remain civil when posting and appreciate that posters are taking time out to help you.

Thanks

Advertisement