Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indo looking for landlord stories of tenants from hell

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Gathering a few links to some of the horror stories on here should help them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

I can't believe one of the landlady's complaints in that article is that the tenant broke a glass and DIDN'T TELL HER! Oh the humanity! And she mentioned that he burned a hole in her duvet cover. Why is she providing him with bedding? :confused: She explains why she did, but honestly, why would you bother? I'd always get my own bedding for the very reason that they can get stained or damaged pretty easily.

He turned to be a complete nightmare of course, but some of the above could happen with good tenants. I mean, glasses break. If I was a landlord, I probably wouldn't have stuff like that in the house and let tenants buy their own stuff (something most tenants are happy to do) but if I did have some glassware, cutlery and crockery provided, I can't say I'd get too upset if something got accidentally broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Maireadio wrote: »
    I can't believe one of the landlady's complaints in that article is that the tenant broke a glass and DIDN'T TELL HER! Oh the humanity! And she mentioned that he burned a hole in her duvet cover. Why is she providing him with bedding? :confused: She explains why she did, but honestly, why would you bother? I'd always get my own bedding for the very reason that they can get stained or damaged pretty easily.

He turned to be a complete nightmare of course, but some of the above could happen with good tenants. I mean, glasses break. If I was a landlord, I probably wouldn't have stuff like that in the house and let tenants buy their own stuff (something most tenants are happy to do) but if I did have some glassware, cutlery and crockery provided, I can't say I'd get too upset if something got accidentally broken.
    She was not a landlord but a licensee so should have had even more control of the situation but it would appear by her not taking a months rent plus deposit in advance off the builder she doesn't have a clue.

She did interviews but was possibly asking the wrong questions where she should have acted like a total slob with potential tenants and take the one who was most horrified by her slobbiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

On this topic, I just finished this book today:

http://www.amazon.com/Evicted-Poverty-Profit-American-City/dp/0553447432

It offers a balanced documentary on tenants/landlords in a poverty stricken area in a Milwaukee. One of the best books I have ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

On this topic, I just finished this book today:

http://www.amazon.com/Evicted-Poverty-Profit-American-City/dp/0553447432

It offers a balanced documentary on tenants/landlords in a poverty stricken area in a Milwaukee. One of the best books I have ever read.

Thanks. I just bought the Audible version after reading the reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/being-a-landlord-caused-me-nothing-but-misery-dublin-woman-shares-the-other-side-of-the-rental-crisis-34732551.html

Maybe time for landlords to balance the arguement in the papers. Personally I sick of reading the bleeding heart stories from tenants who by reading what they say sould like they were terrible tenants

A national newspaper is looking to cover and publicise the many bad tenant stories that have been written here, along with other sources, by landlords. I hope landlords who have had bad experiences swamp this mailbox with stories because the one in the link was very weak.

Only through the publication of these stories nationally will things receive attention and some motivation to be changed for the better. I hope the usual Irish tendency to moan quietly about things or post on Boards rather than raise the issue with elected representatives or journalists can be foregone in this case

Advertisement