Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Tax and its effect on car price

Options
  • 20-05-2016 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

So, were all aware of the crappy two tier Motor tax system here in Ireland. Cars registered post 2008 are on the newer CO2 based system and pre 2008 cars are based on engine size.

Which ever system you fall into, if you have a car where is beating heart is anything bigger than a gnat, you're going to get caught for some astronomical tax.

But for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction....right.

It struck me when looking at the Luxobarge and bangernomics threads how many cool cars are out there for sale at small money. And for the really interesting cars, their price is nearly always down to Motor tax.

I'm an Alfa Romeo man for my sins, and I'm hankering after a Brera ever since I saw one. Thing is, smallest engine is 2.2ltr (I heard before there was a 1.7ltr version, but never seen one) and I don't want to 2.2ltr, I want the 3.2ltr. They can be gotten for small money and you have a whopper of a car. Looking at a 2.4 Diesel (near as makes no difference €1000 a year to tax), 2006 for €3500 a while back with long test. Thats a cheap 200bhp right there.

But I don't want to pay a grand a year for tax.

Thing is, this car would be much more expensive to buy if it was cheap to tax. You see it with 2007 and 2008 cars of the same model where there would be a considerable difference in price between them that you couldn't attribute to the age difference alone.

Now I have no idea what the cost of a Brera would be if the tax cost was €400 a year for example (Actually being an Alfa, it might not be much higher.......bad example maybe :rolleyes: but you know where I'm getting with it I hope). I'd like to think it would cost a couple of grand more.

So why don't we just do the math, realise that the tax cost is canceled out by the car cost (as long as you don't keep the car for years and years) and go buy our dream cars anyway???

..........wheres my Autotrader and Buy and sell magazine??? (Remember those???)

Advertisement