Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1910 singer sewing machine

Options
  • 20-05-2016 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

My mother has a sewing machine that she was about to lump into a skip, however a bit of googling lead to me to determine by its serial number it is from 1910.

Any idea of values if anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Howdy folks,

My mother has a sewing machine that she was about to lump into a skip, however a bit of googling lead to me to determine by its serial number it is from 1910.

Any idea of values if anything?

Is it on a cast iron base? If so she might get €50 or so at auction. Otherwise the skip is the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Have a look on adverts.ie. They have loads: http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_singer/

If you can't sell it maybe give it to a pub for some old-time decoration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Cheers lads, will lob it into the skip so! Wasn't a case of money, more of history as I am an avid collector myself just not of sewing machines!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,132 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it still working?

It is surprisingly enough!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,132 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It seems a terriible waste to throw it out if it's working. They were really good machines.

Unfortunately I don't know anybody who sews! The sheer weight and size of it mean there's no real room for either my mum or myself to keep it!

Maybe 24 hours of a post in Arts and Crafts to see if someone local would take it from you?
    They really are a good machine - much better than those produced today.

spurious wrote: »
    Maybe 24 hours of a post in Arts and Crafts to see if someone local would take it from you?

Good idea! Will try get onto that tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

spurious wrote: »

I seriously doubt that that's the case. If it is, why are all the old sewing machines sitting up on shelves in olde worlde pubs and why do dressmakers and repair shops all use modern sewing machines? I suspect the microchip has something to do with it - there's way more function and versatility in the new machines.

The old sewing machines and manual typewriters were built to last and most of them are still intact but modern technology has rendered them obsolete as functional objects.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that that's the case. If it is, why are all the old sewing machines sitting up on shelves in olde worlde pubs and why do dressmakers and repair shops all use modern sewing machines? I suspect the microchip has something to do with it - there's way more function and versatility in the new machines.

The old sewing machines and manual typewriters were built to last and most of them are still intact but modern technology has rendered them obsolete as functional objects.

Perhaps nicer to use would have been a better term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Dont skip it . I'll take it if its free. I'm interested in old machines. At the very least I'll store it away safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Damn. I must be living in the past with 1916 patriots ...

I didnt catch how old this thread is sorry. its probably long gone by now .

Advertisement