Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homebrew kit

• 19-05-2016 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

After skimming the first page of a thread on after hours I followed a link to this and thought to myself a homebrewhile kit would be a great pressie for my husband's upcoming birthday!

I haven't a notion where to start,what to look for or how much a homebrew kit would cost!

Any and all advice welcome!

Predictive text changed the title

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

now online wrote: »
    After skimming the first page of a thread on after hours I followed a link to this and thought to myself a homebrewhile kit would be a great pressie for my husband's upcoming birthday!

I haven't a notion where to start,what to look for or how much a homebrew kit would cost!

This is a basic kit although it does come with a keg. Others use bottles.
    http://www.homebrew.ie/premium-starter-kit-keg-option-159-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Best bit of advice I can give is avoid homebrew West like the plague, disgrace of a company.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Best bit of advice I can give is avoid homebrew West like the plague, disgrace of a company.

For clarity that is not the company I link to above. The general feeling lately though appears to be avoid homebrewwest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

The kit listed above is a rip off. Fermenter is too small, no hydrometer, no kit to start you off.

This one has a 33L fermenter, a kit to get you started, hydrometer and 48 PET bottles. €80.

The kit listed above is a rip off. Fermenter is too small, no hydrometer, no kit to start you off.

This one has a 33L fermenter, a kit to get you started, hydrometer and 48 PET bottles. €80.

Yip, far better value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

The girlfriend has agreed to buy me a kit for my birthday next month. What would this one be like?

https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-products/starter-kits/starter-kits-beer/d/brewferm-starter-s-kit-deluxe#.V0DAueYrIyk

edit: just noticed the delivery is 42 euro so ending up rather expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Im liking the look of this one.
    No beer kit with it but you'd have a wider choice of what you want to brew first, No bottles either but they are easily got free or you just have to drink enough in two weeks and keep them

stecleary wrote: »
    Im liking the look of this one.
    No beer kit with it but you'd have a wider choice of what you want to brew first, No bottles either but they are easily got free or you just have to drink enough in two weeks and keep them

Well you'd need 40 bottles. You can brew any kit with a single fermentation bucket and the bottles. The cheaper kits come with a single tin and you have to add 1kg of sugar. The more expensive kits have two tins so no sugar and the beer is usually better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

mordeith wrote: »
    The cheaper kits come with a single tin and you have to add 1kg of sugar.
    I'd recommend a kilo of spraymalt instead of sugar, for better results.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'd recommend a kilo of spraymalt instead of sugar, for better results.

Not to hijack the thread but what qualities does the spraymalt bring over sugar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

now online wrote: »

If you are anywhere near a Tesco Extra, they sell complete Coopers homebrew kits. Plus most of the essentials
    From my observations, coopers buckets and bits and bobs are better quality than the mash of bits homebrew shops put together and they also come with bottles.
    There is also a Youngs Lager 50 euro kit (no bottles) and a Coopers lager 90 euro kit on the shelfs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

mordeith wrote: »
    Not to hijack the thread but what qualities does the spraymalt bring over sugar?
    Body and flavour. Sugar will tend to leave the beer thinner since it's fully fermentable, and can result in a cidery tang.

Advertisement