Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from and get an exclusive discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Girlfriend may be deported - school closed

  • 19-05-2016 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 moneyman

    Edit: It looks like I may have posted this in the wrong forum, can a mod please move to the appropriate place as I really need help on this.

    Sorry if this is the wrong forum, really looking for any help/insight here.

    My girlfriend is South American and has been here for the past year. Unfortunately her school was one of the ones that shut down, so she did not get any qualification or do her IELT test at the end. She has enrolled for another course starting at the end of the month so she can stay another 8 months, however she just received an email saying she has to provide to immigration her IELT results or her GNIB can be revoked and she would be deported.

    She went to the immigration office today to apply for a one month extension but honestly I am not very hopeful of this being granted. Anyone know the criteria for them granting these? Apart from this they told her she has only 6 days to provide the results if the extension is not granted. Now there are no tests available to even take for the next month, and even then it takes 13 days for the results to come back. So it seems like a hopeless situation.

    Does anyone know what the best course of action is or what our options are? She doesn't want to stay here illegally for obvious reasons. If her GNIB is revoked is it possible for her to return to her country and come back here again to study? I don't think she would even want to come back here if the situation goes that far.

    I would really appreciate any help or insight. It seems very unfair that she is unable to study here longer due to her school closing. Thanks in advance for any help.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ GavMan

    Best advice is to work with Authorities and show a willingness to engage.

    Enroll for a test and see if they can extend until the results are known

    Good luck