Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun holiday fashion for the body conscious

Options
  • 19-05-2016 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

I'm going on my first sun holiday in forever, and I'm dreading buying clothes for it.
    I'm a 14 and short and not very toned at the moment, so I'm very body conscious. Anyone else in the same boat? What holiday picks would you recommend?
    Any tips about chafing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I think things are probably good for the body conscious these days. One piece swimsuits are actually fashionable and there are great choices around.

I don't think this is the exact one as I bought it a few weeks ago and its gone, but I bought something very similar to this as it has plenty of structure and is really flattering.

http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Mesh-Panel-Cupped-Swimsuit/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5876864&cid=2238&Rf989=5061&sh=0&pge=4&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Black&totalstyles=414&gridsize=3

No matter what size I am I just don't think I'm built for having a thigh gap :( So chaffing is always an issue. I just try to alternate between different styles so that sometimes my legs get a break. I'm planning on buying a pair of spanks type nude shorts from penneys to wear under maxi dresses/longer skirts for when my thighs are giving out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

For chafing, you could either use Bodyglide (which I find only lasts a few hours; less when you're quite active) or get a couple of pairs of Bandelettes.

One-piece bathing suits are great alright.

Other than that, light sundresses that nip in at the waist and flare out again are my go-to in summer.

Think these are the shorts things I'm going to get as a back up, as Penneys can be hit and miss. Who knows if they'll even have what I want in stock! They're absolute passion killers though so must make sure the OH doesnt lay eyes on them!

http://www.marksandspencer.ie/Light-Control-Sheer-Shaping-Thigh-Slimmer/P22445060,en_IE,pd.html?dwvar_P22445060_color=AX&start=

Plus M&S are doing 20% off online and instore this weekend. Theres a voucher they've mailed out to anyone on their mailing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Buy good swimsuit. Try them, see what suits you best and if needed spend a bit more money and buy one good one rather that five that will do. Light maxi dresses and comfortable flats. Shorts and tank tops if they work for you. There are also some cute playsuits around. Any clothing that requires shape wear should be ignored. Unless you are doing some serious clubbing forget about dressed up look and go as relaxed as you want. And leave stilettos at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I think I'll have to order the bandlettes, I'll get too hot in shape wear!!

I have a really nice swim suit, shape wide, but it's for a swimming pool i.e. not beachy

Wheres good for sundresses? Penneys I guess?

• Advertisement

I'm going to do a Pennyes haul in Dundrum after work tomorrow so I'll report back.

I'm also going to look in Zara and H&M for light dresses.

Was in Dunnes earlier this week and bought a few tops but ended up bringing them all back. I did get a light black dress with pockets and a gold zip at the front also, and that was the only thing I ended up keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Don't dismiss Tesco either, OP.

Really pretty things and comfy things too all at unbelievable prices.
    I got gorgeous dresses, shorts, Tshirts and vest tops and I got loads for around €60 in total.
    They cater for sizes up to 22 so you'll be sure to find something but for much less than other shops.

On the other hand, New Look have great clothes too for the body conscious girl and again, they have sizes for all shapes.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Don't dismiss Tesco either, OP.

Really pretty things and comfy things too all at unbelievable prices.
    I got gorgeous dresses, shorts, Tshirts and vest tops and I got loads for around €60 in total.
    They cater for sizes up to 22 so you'll be sure to find something but for much less than other shops.

On the other hand, New Look have great clothes too for the body conscious girl and again, they have sizes for all shapes.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

I really need comfy denim shorts I think that aren't too long or short, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 CassieLyons

One piece swimsuits, swimdresses, skirtinis, shortinis are all great for hiding parts of your body. I would check out swimsuitsforall

For casual summer outfits try knee length-maxi length loose skirts/dresses and loose tank tops/t-shirts or blouses if wanting to dress it up a little more.

Knee length shorts are also nice if you don't care for skirts or dresses and don't forget a cover up for after you're done swimming or lounging!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Thanks, I'll have a look.

I really need comfy denim shorts I think that aren't too long or short, any ideas?
    Ive seen them in NEXT..soft denim ones.The other summer stuff in there might suit you too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Seen a pair in H&M at the weekend, I'm guessing they would stop above the knee (I'm not a fan of Daisy Duke shorts here!)

Edit - also try Tesco, Next and Heatons for shorts that don't reveal your butt cheeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hi OP _ I meant to reply to your original post earlier. Just one thing to note - when you are on a sun holiday, nobody really notices other people's sizes, you might notice if someone has a nice bikini on or has something unusual like lots of tattoos. But there's all shapes and sizes by the pool and nobody passes any remarks about someone's sizing. (Speaking as a short, jiggly, jelly belly, size 10/12 who can also be self conscious of her body). On the one hand I figure that I'm so busy noticing my own flaws and not anyone else's that perhaps everyone else is the same. And on the other hand I just think, I'm married with a kid and in my early 30's - if someone wants to pass any judgement on my figure then the problem lies with them and not me!

Anyway!
    A supportive bikini, and a cover up for when you are going to the pool bar will suffice in the day time by the pool. Day trips - shorts and tshirts. Night time - maxi dresses with flat sandals. White trousers with dressy tops. Those patterned joggers are in style at the mo - they would be light and comfy, can be casual during the day or dressed up for evening. Don't forget a baseball hat for keeping the sun off your face and also a cardi or a shawl for night-time.

I won't bother spending lots of money on sun holiday clothes (exception if you want good swimwear than you will wear again), you are going to wear them for a week or two - what I would wear abroad I wouldn't really wear at home (maybe around the house or in the back yard!). So a haul in Penneys will do the job!

Lastly - enjoy your holiday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dibs24

I was in the same boat as OP, I'm going on my first sun holiday in years and was looking for nice clothes. I found some lovely denim shorts in Forever21 which were high waisted, stretchy and not too short. I also got a lovely pair of "boyfriend" style denim shorts in Penneys so it's worth a look there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭KikiDee

M&M direct....I order from them every year for Summer wear. Decent prices and decent sizes too.
    I tend to go with floaty dresses (short and long). I pick up a good few bits in Pennys too. They have lovely bits in there now at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I got a pair of the boyfriend denim shorts in Penneys the other day and they are so comfy. And another pair of navy knee length chino type shorts. I think it came to €20 for both. The knee length ones weren't too long but long enough to hopefully prevent the dreaded chub rub! Have ordered a pair of those bandalettes that were suggested in another thread! New Look has some lovely Bardot tops that I need to pick up to go with them!

Wellyd wrote: »
    I got a pair of the boyfriend denim shorts in Penneys the other day and they are so comfy. And another pair of navy knee length chino type shorts. I think it came to €20 for both. The knee length ones weren't too long but long enough to hopefully prevent the dreaded chub rub! Have ordered a pair of those bandalettes that were suggested in another thread! New Look has some lovely Bardot tops that I need to pick up to go with them!

I ended up getting both of those pairs of shorts, really surprised how well they fit!!!

Advertisement