Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Grad+Grant/Social welfare

Options
  • 18-05-2016 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hi, I finished my undergrad in 2014 and been working full time since. Strongly considering quitting my current job and taking a year out and doing a masters. -Does anyone know the boundaries for getting a SUSI grant and what does people generally get.
    -What precisely is the tax credit you would get. I assume if I started a masters this sept my taxable allowance would come off my salary this year
    -The fact I've paid paye and prsi this past 2 years does that mean I would get any social welfare ect

Not meaning to be tight but I'm sure people know all too well that a masters approx 13k; then rent 6k plus god knows how much more just to get by and live pushes things into the early 20s which is alot to stomach, yes I know I worked this past 2 years but still with rent in dublin and car loan ect doesnt allow for much savings all then to be blown on a masters. Financing a masters seems to be a more complex and less concrete than undergrad...anyone else been in a similar scenario be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

bs2014 wrote: »
    Hi, I finished my undergrad in 2014 and been working full time since. Strongly considering quitting my current job and taking a year out and doing a masters. -Does anyone know the boundaries for getting a SUSI grant and what does people generally get.
    -What precisely is the tax credit you would get. I assume if I started a masters this sept my taxable allowance would come off my salary this year
    -The fact I've paid paye and prsi this past 2 years does that mean I would get any social welfare ect

Not meaning to be tight but I'm sure people know all too well that a masters approx 13k; then rent 6k plus god knows how much more just to get by and live pushes things into the early 20s which is alot to stomach, yes I know I worked this past 2 years but still with rent in dublin and car loan ect doesnt allow for much savings all then to be blown on a masters. Financing a masters seems to be a more complex and less concrete than undergrad...anyone else been in a similar scenario be much appreciated.

for the susi grant your earnings have to be under 31,500 in the previous year, meaning if you were to do a post graduate course in 16/17 the figures they are looking at is 2015 earnings. the amount you would get towards the fees is €2000 based on being under €31,500

there is no BTEA paid for postgraduate study

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

for the susi grant your earnings have to be under 31,500 in the previous year, meaning if you were to do a post graduate course in 16/17 the figures they are looking at is 2015 earnings. the amount you would get towards the fees is €2000 based on being under €31,500

there is no BTEA paid for postgraduate study

Thanks for that, for 2015 I just about fall under that amount, but my 2016 earnings will have creeped above it so I guess its now or never!:cool:€2000 isn't alot given the cost of a year out but I guess a little help. Do you happen to know about the social welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

bs2014 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, for 2015 I just about fall under that amount, but my 2016 earnings will have creeped above it so I guess its now or never!:cool:€2000 isn't alot given the cost of a year out but I guess a little help. Do you happen to know about the social welfare?

If you were assessed as a dependent student for your undergrad, you will still be assessed as a dependent for your postgrad.

You would have to provide more information regarding your history.

Social welfare do not make BTEA payment for postgrad studies.

Advertisement