Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BA Social Sciences to MA History (UCD, TCD, MU). Big Transition?

Options
  • 18-05-2016 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello folks,

I currently have a degree in Anthropology and Sociology from Maynooth University.
    I wondering would I be at a huge disadvantage switching over to history at this late stage?

I've always had a keen interest in history andI have been reading from a few of the courses' Recommended/Further reading lists, to help get a better idea of what's in store. I've also looked at past history exam papers from Maynooth to find the gaps in what I know so far. I've been really enjoying it! :D

The courses I have been mainly look at are;
    1) M.Phil Early Modern History, TCD
    2) MA History, UCD
    3) MA Irish History, Maynooth University

I really loved studying at Maynooth as my lecturers were excellent and helpful, though I prefer the choice of modules in UCD's & TCD's courses, and I'm interested in the research that's being done in early modern history at TCD.

If anyone else has made a similar switch in disciplines or is doing one of the courses, could you please let me know what you think? I'm anxious about the pace of the master's and whether it'll be to big of a jump!
    Also if you have had any experience with these history departments, how approachable are they if you're a bit confused on a topic?

I should maybe add that I got a 2.2 in my degree. I suffered from PTSD towards the end of second year and this affected my performance in the final year. I have mainly 1.1's and 2.1's in my first and second year modules and I'm hoping they will take my medical documentation into account. I have some good references from my lecturers, I'm much better now and ready for the next big challenge!

Lastly, to the Moderators, I searched for threads on switching subjects to history and had no luck, so if I've posted this in the wrong spot or missed a thread, that was unintentional!

Thanks Everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 irishbambi

I did my BA in TCD in Irish studies which had a ton of Irish history, TCD has one of the best history departments (in that the courses are interesting and they have great resources) and a great library. I don't think it's a disadvantage to switch, though tcd are very strict. I applied for an MA in Irish history and didn't get in. That said I got a 2.2 also, and the minimum requirements for the vast majority of Postgraduate courses is a 2.1 (though international peace studies and religious studies accept a 2.2).

I applied to UCD and got accepted there, though not for Irish history. I love Trinity college, and will most likely do alot of research for my MA there (as an alumni I can still access the library), but UCD has more affordable courses, and to be honest, I didn't see a whole lot of support from most of my professors at Trinity, none of my class did -and there were only 22 of us! Some were great. But not the majority. I'm hoping for a different experience at UCD, especially for postgraduate study.

Advertisement