Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best thing to do with dead tulips/daffs

Options
  • 18-05-2016 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

What's the best thing to do with them at this time of year?

Do you cut them short or what?

I have some in a flower bed out the back and they are just an eyesore.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Not an expert, but I watched gardeners world last week and monty said to just take the heads off for now and leave the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dunno about tulips, but daffs - deadhead when the flowers are gone, and then let the leaves die back. I remember my mother gathering clumps of leaves and tying them down neatly with elastic bands! This sends all the energy back down to the bulb for next year.

Only when the leaves come away from the bulb easily do I pull them up, leaving the bulbs in the window-boxes for next year. I just plant more stuff on top of them for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Wait until the leaves start to turn yellow, then cut them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Thanks for all the input.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I remember my mother gathering clumps of leaves and tying them down neatly with elastic bands! This sends all the energy back down to the bulb for next year.
    old wives tale. does the opposite of what is claimed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

old wives tale. does the opposite of what is claimed.

You're right - I placed that comment badly. I don't do the tying-down-with-elastic-bands myself - that was just a memory from childhood. The daffs never seemed to suffer too much from it though!

But deadheading and leaving the leaves till they die back is important.

Sorry for any confusion caused :o

Advertisement