Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Individual Modules (20 ECTS Credits)

Options
  • 18-05-2016 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I would like to do a PGCE course to teach both Irish and English and I am wondering how to go about doing this. I have a degree in Irish and New Media, a master's in Irish language communications and a postgraduate diploma in Irish language translation. I have been reading the Teaching Council Subject Requirements for English and 60 of the 180 ECTS credits (the total number of degree credits) need to have been in English Language and Literature. The degree must have included the study of a minimum of 40 ECTS credits of literature including study of all of the following:

(a) Drama
    (b) Poetry
    (c) Fiction

I studied English modules (Poetry, Language and Fiction) as an Erasmus student and earned a total of 20 ECTS credits. According to the Teaching Council Subject Regulations, 20 of the 60 ECTS credits can be in media studies. Having done modules in new media, I am confident that this would satisfy the 20 ECTS credits' requirement.

This means that I have 40 of the 60 ECTS credits needed and would need a further 20 credits therefore to meet the requirements set down by the Teaching Council, .ie. 60 ECTS credits.

How can I get these credits? Is it possible to do a number of individual university modules in English (drama) that would allow me to get them?

Is it possible to do a 1 year PGCE course to teach both Irish and English? I am open to doing a PGCE course in England but I would only be able to train to teach English if I were to do such a course. I would like to teach Irish and have English as my second subject as Irish is what I know and what I've studied. I would be thinking of the likes of the Ulster University, Queen's University, Belfast, UUJ etc in terms of the PGCE course as I read about one such course in St. Mary's University, Belfast, that takes 1 year to complete.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement