Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ElectricIreland utilities

Options
  • 18-05-2016 12:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

ElectricIreland are reducing their rates by 6% on 01 June and offering a €120 switching bonus on their electricity & gas plans. This makes it the best value on the market factoring in the bonus.
    A switching bonus will be applied to the electricity account of the following EI residential customers who sign up,
    ValueSaver Electricity Price Plan for new customers,
    ValueSaver Dual fuel Price Plan for new customers,
    Standard Gas Price Plan for new customers
    This is only available to new electricity, gas and dual fuel customers joining EI https://www.electricireland.ie/switchchange/custOfferTermsConditions.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Is a previous/former customer (of good standing) classed as a new customer, does anyone know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is a previous/former customer (of good standing) classed as a new customer, does anyone know?
    Yes, if it was 12+ months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

AFAIK once you leave you can go back at anytime as a new customer

Terms:
    A switching bonus will be applied to the electricity account of the following Electric Ireland residential customers who sign up, ValueSaver Electricity Price Plan for new customers, ValueSaver Dual fuel Price Plan for new customers, Standard Gas Price Plan for new customers This is only available to new electricity, gas and dual fuel customers joining Electric Ireland.

The promoter is Electric Ireland, Swift Square, Northwood, Santry, Dublin 9.

Electric Ireland is a division of ESB.

You must be 18 years or over at the time of application
    New customers must sign up for ValueSaver electricity price plan, Standard Gas price plan or a ValueSaver dual fuel price plan from Electric Ireland from 12:00 on 18th May 2016 to be eligible to receive this switching bonus offer.

This offer excludes our Nest, Climote and Smarter PAYG Price Plans.

Only one application of credit per person. Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted. Applications in the joint names of two or more persons qualify for one allocation of switching bonus offer.

This offer can be withdrawn without notice

The switching bonus is as stated and NO CASH ALTERNATIVES OR REFUNDS will be offered

By applying online to Electric Ireland for an electricity, gas or dual fuel price plan, you confirm your acceptance of these terms and conditions.

Please allow up to four months from signing up online for the credit on your first or second* electricity bill.

Electric Ireland reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions from time to time where reasonably required.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

So after €120 credit unit price is €0.16.

14.02 cent per kWh with SSE Airtricity. Is that the best price per unit on the market without any offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

askU wrote: »

14.02 cent per kWh with SSE Airtricity. Is that the best price per unit on the market without any offer?

Yes as far as I can see.
    I went with BG One Big Switch because I use my Tesco Tokens for it and get double their value. SSE is very good though, as is this new offer.

• Advertisement

askU wrote: »
    EI are reducing their prices by 6% on 01 June and a possible 5.5% for electricity or gas and 8.5% for dual.
    https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/products/electricity-and-gas-offers
    Did ye factor that in?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unit price isn't everything if your usage is low - standing charges make some of the very cheap unit operators dear then.

I'd gone to EI with the old rates and 50 cash back as it made it cheaper than energia for my usage. SSE weren't even at the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Currently out of contract with Energia. Thinking of going with this. Duel fuel option.
    Never switched before. Do i have to inform Energia i'm out the door or once i switch is all that sorted by Electric Ireland?

Cheers Op

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Currently out of contract with Energia. Thinking of going with this. Duel fuel option.
    Never switched before. Do i have to inform Energia i'm out the door or once i switch is all that sorted by Electric Ireland?

Cheers Op

No, just change and the new provider notify the old and you'll be sent your last bill. Unless you have a credit balance with the old provider you are unlikely to need to contact them again.

Do a comparison on www.bonkers.ie first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I was with energia and my contact was ending so gave them a call. They matched the best rate i could get if i switched. Saved me the hassle of moving providers. Worth giving Energia a ring but do your homework first.

Cheers Op

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Go with whichever energy provider offers you the best deal but there is absolutely no hassle in switching energy providers if you need to. You can even do the switch through the bonkers.ie website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I presume nobody has had any success getting the 120 switching bonus as an existing customer? My contract with EI is up this month and want to stay with them as I find the powering rewards benefits good but the switching offers are tempting.

With electricity, EI works out the cheapest with the €120 cashback.
    I was right :cool:

ElectricIreland have increased their switching bonus to €150
    https://www.electricireland.ie/switchchange/

This is excellent value, in particular for low users

snubbleste wrote: »
    ElectricIreland have increased their switching bonus to €150
    https://www.electricireland.ie/switchchange/

This is excellent value, in particular for low users

Although not extremely low users, cause EI have the low usage charge and the others don't.

In case anyone was considering moving a holiday home / workshop domestic supply etc over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

L1011 wrote: »
    Although not extremely low users, cause EI have the low usage charge and the others don't.

In case anyone was considering moving a holiday home / workshop domestic supply etc over.

Is there a better offer? Low usage works out at approx 32 euro per year assuming you used an average of less than 2 units per day in every billing period.

Is there a better offer? Low usage works out at approx 32 euro per year assuming you used an average of less than 2 units per day in every billing period.

Basically anything except the extremely high standing charge/low unit deals works out cheaper. Think my parents and my sister use BGE for their holiday houses - I'm not quite in the position to have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

All the halfords bargains I've seen here are from pricescanner.ie (formerly scanner.today) so people wanting to avoid the chat can just look there instead:

https://pricescanner.ie/halfords/

What has that got to do with Electricity providers?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

ElectricIreland is only good value for low usage?

Which provider is the best value at the min, I need to change provider for electricity and gas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭amber2

degzs wrote: »
    ElectricIreland is only good value for low usage?

Which provider is the best value at the min, I need to change provider for electricity and gas

I use bonkers.ie, does all the calculating based on your current provider & plan.

www.bonkers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭doctorg

Why is Climote free and 99€ for Nest when Climote has a much higher cost when bought individually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Just bought a house and am looking for a gas and electricity provider.

I checked bonkers.ie and SSE seem to be the cheapest at the moment. They are charging 14.21 cent per kWh.

Is the kWH all I look at in regards to cost?

I really have no idea about any of this.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Del007 wrote: »
    Just bought a house and am looking for a gas and electricity provider.

I checked bonkers.ie and SSE seem to be the cheapest at the moment. They are charging 14.21 cent per kWh.

Is the kWH all I look at in regards to cost?

I really have no idea about any of this.

Cheers
    The standing charge can vary too. But personally I'd keep well away from Airtricity

ted1 wrote: »
    The standing charge can vary too. But personally I'd keep well away from Airtricity

How come?

cronos wrote: »

Thanks so much for giving me a link to Google, it is very informative.

Would you perhaps have a link to bargain alerts in boards.ie for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Del007 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for giving me a link to Google, it is very informative.

Would you perhaps have a link to bargain alerts in boards.ie for me?

Did you read the reviews at said link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There is nothing wrong with airtricity as far as I'm concerned. Been with them for years in 2 different houses. Some say their customer service is crap but I've never needed their customer service and its not like the quality of electricity from one provider to the other is different! :)

Once you are connected and you are on the best price the customer service wont matter since anything that goes wrong with your service is not fixed by the providers. Its fixed by the network, not the provider.

Just do the math by plugging in the number of kWh's you use per year, what unit price you currently pay and pick the cheapest provider for your usage profile.

Advertisement