Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in Canada

Options
  • 18-05-2016 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,537 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks
    I'm seriously thinking about moving to Canada and giving it a go for 2 years,
    I don't have degree but have working in logistics for 10 years, Im 33 now an reckon this is my last chance to give living abroad a go,
    How easy is it to get a decent job without a degree over there,
    My job here is good and well paid so i'm worried about quitting only to have to return early from Canada because I couldn't find work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

My opinion is that find a good job in Canada without a degree is going to be tough - they tend to value degrees over experience. If you have a good, well paid job in Ireland, I think moving to Canada will be risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,537 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

My opinion is that find a good job in Canada without a degree is going to be tough - they tend to value degrees over experience. If you have a good, well paid job in Ireland, I think moving to Canada will be risky.

Thanks for the reply ,
    It a tuff one because I have always wanted to try living in Canada or the US and this may be the last chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Go. Don't think about it, just go. You will regret it if you don't go. You can always come back.

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Go. Don't think about it, just go. You will regret it if you don't go. You can always come back.
    I think I will when my lease on my apartment runs out at the end of the year
    At the moment I single and no real tie apart fro family and friends here,
    I guess once you take the first few steps then your on the way and no turning back ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

In that case then definitely go. You'll have a great time for 2/3 months, then you'll probably feel homesick for a little bit and once you get over that you probably won't want to come home. Best thing I've ever done was move to Canada, I highly recommend it (Vancouver).

• Advertisement

In that case then definitely go. You'll have a great time for 2/3 months, then you'll probably feel homesick for a little bit and once you get over that you probably won't want to come home. Best thing I've ever done was move to Canada, I highly recommend it (Vancouver).
    v if you don't mind me asking what line of work do you do ?
    I work in ocean freight and Vancouver has the biggest port in Canada so its a no brainer to try work there for me ,

I work in ocean freight and Vancouver has the biggest port in Canada so its a no brainer to try work there for me ,

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Thanks for the reply ,
    It a tuff one because I have always wanted to try living in Canada or the US and this may be the last chance

That's the million dollar question really. Do you risk a stable job back home with your friends and family around for the chance of something new in Canada?

I don't regret coming here as it has benefited my career and I enjoy the North American/city lifestyle but it was really tough to get started in the beginning. A lot of jobs are found through networking which takes time to build so you will more than likely end up in a starting job that you don't want or has no relevance to your past experience. Not having your friends and family around sucks as well but I was at an age where most of my friends were in long term relationships where as I was single so it could have been worse I suppose.

You could have a life changing experience, enhance your career or settle down there permanently. Or you could be stuck in a dead end job while you try and break into the job you want. The only way you will find out what will happen is to give it a shot but just remember not everyone makes the move successfully. If your job back home is something you could get back if you returned home, then I would definitely give it a go. If not going is something you think you will regret in the future, then I would also go then. You don't want to be that guy in the bar saying "I could have went to Canada/US/Australia" but didn't.

• Advertisement

I suppose its better to have tried and failed then to have never tried at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Smithf987

Hi all, I'm planning on moving over to Toronto next February and I'm thinking I'll do a coffee barista course maybe in January before I head off. I work as a receptionist in Dublin but wouldn't like an office job over there-not mad on the office environment and would like a more relaxed role either in a coffee shop or a bar, just hoping to get some advice maybe if someone on here had a similar experience about pay/hours/places to keep in mind. Thanks!

Advertisement