Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Outlook 2016 bug created by Windows update

Options
  • 18-05-2016 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

I find that Micrsoft has been pushing a ‘critical update’ to Windows 7, and every time it gets installed I have to do a system restore to remove it. Otherwise Outlook 2016 does not work properly. It started off with Outlook not opening – just freezing on the Outlook splash screen. Now it causing Outlook to only show the emails screen – the icons to move from email to diary to contacts vanish, until a system restore removes this ‘critical update’ to Win 10.

When I look at installed updates, this critical update is not listed, so I can’t determine its KB code to consider the security risks.

Is Microsoft being sloppy or malicious? By malicious I mean, turning it into a backdoor attempt to make me consider ‘updating’ to Windows 10?

If nothing else, the lack of quality control over patches, particularly issued by Anglo-Saxon companies, leaves much to be desired.

It seems to me that we need a change of law to make exclusion clauses for defective software illegal. Make the software developer just as liable as a car manufacturer for defects in their product.

Googling around I find no link to report this issue directly to MS. Is it any wonder that there is so much buggy software around, if developers are not ‘listening’ to customers? This type of listening feedback could be structurally analyzed by artificial intelligence, to identify multiple cases of the same issue, allowing the fix to be escalated based on reported incidents, and priorities.

It is also not on that Microsoft seems to be pushing updates under the critical banner that do not appear in the list of installed updates so one can check what they are meant to fix? Or is this a function of yet another bug in the Microsoft platform?

I tried Windows 10 and it caused more bugs to appear in Office, so I moved back to Windows 7. It is time that the powers that be in the EU and elsewhere took the issue of software product liability seriously. And stop wasting our time with cookie warning pop-ups, and similar 'initiatives'. I am sick of spending money to keep my systems up to date, only to find the same bugs and design flaws in successive versions of Office, for example.

Advertisement