Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 AYCE

Options
  • 18-05-2016 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭

Just got referred here from the imagine thread
    I live in rural east galway and have been with 3 since the NBP
    Speeds really improved last 2 years (when I say really improved I mean up to 3/4 MB) but the problem now is the data cap ! It was never an issuer before that cos twas too slow to download anyway ! We have an Xbox one which constantly needs updates etc so it's a pain
    Anyway this month we had to switch off the wifi after 2 weeks as we had nearly used the 60 GB due to a game update I hadn't spotted running !
    I've been told I could just pay 20 euro a month and bang in a sim instead .............
    So my question is simple . Will I get the exact same speeds/service I'm currently getting with the pay monthly sim ?
    If so I'll go for it until imagine reach our area
    My current set up is a fairly old white Huawei Modem connects to a net gear router. We also have an internal booster which helps speeds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Based on my own experience comparing a prepay SIM against a friend's Three broadband SIM, the broadband accounts get priority on the network especially at peak time, whereas both perform similarly during offpeak times such as early in the day. I have also seen this comparing it against iD Mobile broadband which also operates on the Three network.

The best thing to do is pick up a SIM card and give it a try. If it turns out to be too slow, what you could do is pop it in just before heading to bed and let the Xbox do its updates / downloading overnight while keeping your main Three broadband allowance for when you need the speed.

I would also suggest getting a newer router such as the Huawei B315 or B593, especially if you are using a USB dongle or battery operated MiFi. Even if you only get 3G, the newer routers support HSPA+ with diversity which can make quite a difference with the speed. You may need to switch off the booster for HSPA+ / diversity to work (assuming it's a 3G signal repeater) as most repeaters operate on one polarity only (usually vertical polarity), whereas a 3G diversity capable router needs to operate on both polarities simultaneously.

If the signal repeater master/source unit is indoors (e.g. Nextivity unit as what Three NBP supplied), what you can try is place the 3G router where the master unit is and use something like a Homeplug Wi-Fi kit to bring the network signal and Wi-Fi signal to where you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

editorsean wrote: »
    Based on my own experience comparing a prepay SIM against a friend's Three broadband SIM, the broadband accounts get priority on the network especially at peak time, whereas both perform similarly during offpeak times such as early in the day. I have also seen this comparing it against iD Mobile broadband which also operates on the Three network.

The best thing to do is pick up a SIM card and give it a try. If it turns out to be too slow, what you could do is pop it in just before heading to bed and let the Xbox do its updates / downloading overnight while keeping your main Three broadband allowance for when you need the speed.

I would also suggest getting a newer router such as the Huawei B315 or B593, especially if you are using a USB dongle or battery operated MiFi. Even if you only get 3G, the newer routers support HSPA+ with diversity which can make quite a difference with the speed. You may need to switch off the booster for HSPA+ / diversity to work (assuming it's a 3G signal repeater) as most repeaters operate on one polarity only (usually vertical polarity), whereas a 3G diversity capable router needs to operate on both polarities simultaneously.

If the signal repeater master/source unit is indoors (e.g. Nextivity unit as what Three NBP supplied), what you can try is place the 3G router where the master unit is and use something like a Homeplug Wi-Fi kit to bring the network signal and Wi-Fi signal to where you need it.

Thanks very helpful
    I've held off on a new router so far as I was hoping to have a new broadband option by now
    Thinking about the Xbox updates it had never even crossed my mind to out in one of our 3 SIM cards into the router (we have 3 seperate phones with AYCE data) . They are the small sims though so may not fit. I may try and do it over phone hotspot

That should also work, assuming they are prepay plans.

Don't do this with a contract (bill pay) SIM as there are reports of Three disabling data on contract SIMs used for tethering or even running up massive bills especially on former O2 plans.

So far I haven't heard of anyone running into any issue tethering with prepay on Three other than that Three will not provide support for any issues with tethering.

well I had a bit of a play around with things this evening........phone coverage OS patchy in the house (often just edge) which has made the last 2 weeks without the WiFi frustrating. So I said I'd turn on the repeater only see if it had any impact on the phones 3G signal..........well my word it did !
    I set up a hotspot and ran a speed test. Consistently getting 15/16 MB download 3/4 upload! That's much better than the 40 euro broadband we are paying at the moment with 3.
    the 3 of us have three PAYG all you can eat data phones with fair usage of 60GB a month. the internet allowance is also 60 GB a month.
    I may have found a short term solution ...........considering giving my 30 days notice now tbh as we are going on holidays then for 2 weeks and hoping imagine may have sorted a mast near us by then

That's a vast improvement. :cool:

It looks like your repeater has no problem handling 3G HSPA+. Based on those differences, it means your original 3G router lacks the HSPA+ capability and may even be a older 3G model capable of 3.6Mbps or 7.2Mbps max.

Just make sure you're getting a decent speed with actual transfers, e.g. web downloads and YouTube (right-click the picture and check "Stats for nerds") as Three appears to prioritise speed test traffic, at least with Ookla's Speedtest.

• Advertisement

editorsean wrote: »
    That's a vast improvement. :cool:

It looks like your repeater has no problem handling 3G HSPA+. Based on those differences, it means your original 3G router lacks the HSPA+ capability and may even be a older 3G model capable of 3.6Mbps or 7.2Mbps max.

Just make sure you're getting a decent speed with actual transfers, e.g. web downloads and YouTube (right-click the picture and check "Stats for nerds") as Three appears to prioritise speed test traffic, at least with Ookla's Speedtest.

3 modem is Huawei B260a
    connected to netgear wireless router WGR614 v7 (54 Mbps)
    not even sure I need the netgear one to be honest
    when I set up the phone hotspot I got same speeds in every room. it's not a big house !

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your repeater is illegal unless operated by or under licence of the band licensee. COMREG could fine you if discovered.

Any illegal activity is against boards' TOS so discussion here is asking for a lock.

ED E wrote: »
    Your repeater is illegal unless operated by or under licence of the band licensee. COMREG could fine you if discovered.

Any illegal activity is against boards' TOS so discussion here is asking for a lock.

I don't understand
    I got the repeater as part of NBS with Three
    The contract ended and they didn't want it sent back
    My phone and Internet are both with Three ?
    I genuinely don't understand what the issue is
    The repeater is on at all times with the broadband which is provided by Three. The broadband router is switched off at moment as the allowance is dangerously close to going over the 60 GB allowance
    Are you saying I must have the repeater turned off whenever the broadband modem is as it will "illegally" boost the 3G signal on my Three handset? It obviously boosts it all the time when the broadband is on I.e. 24 hours a day usually
    I'm sorry if I'm being stupid and missing something obvious ?

just to be crystal clear on the above.
    A Three engineer came down to our house under the NBS and recommended use. of and provided this booster. It has a 3 logo on it and we are still with 3 on a 30 day rolling contract
    I only noticed the improvement in mobile phone signal today as the broadband is usually on at same time as booster but wasnt today so I ran a speed test off the phone only

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Then its used under license of an operator, you're fine as above. Most users on here have picked then up on ebay which is quite different.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Then its used under license of an operator, you're fine as above. Most users on here have picked then up on ebay which is quite different.

PHEW!!!
    thanks for the reply
    I was afraid I missed something

I decided to run 4 sped tests today to see if the router may be restricting speeds as one person suggest
    The tests were
    Phone on 3G with repeater and router turned off
    Phone on 3G with just router on
    Phone over wireless broadband I.e. Router and repeater on
    Phone over 3G but both router and repeater also on
    I've attached a screenshot but long story short by far and away the worst result was over wireless with speeds of approx 4 mb as opposed to 10 or 16 as I got last night
    The router is ancient so that may be an issue !
    Of course better speeds won't solve the 60 gb a month issue but still
    Ping was significantly less over 3G as well

Advertisement