Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calira 38 20 Ds charger

Options
  • 18-05-2016 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

Im looking to buy a replacement Calira 38 20 DS charger but understand the company has closed / gone out of business. Can anyone recommend someone I could try please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

You could get it repaired:
    http://www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/index.html

If its the pwm mains charger section is dead but it still charges off the alternator you may be able to piggyback another charger on the vehicle battery side.

Or take the opportunity to replace it with something that won't blow up every 12 months :pac:

Yurp not worth fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Is replacing it a big job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Is replacing it a big job?

Fiddly job more than anything, especially if the manufacturer has left the wiring very short. Does your manufacturer supply a complete schematic.

How complex it is depends on how much of it is wired up, how much you need/want to recreate.

The tank level wiring you should be able to wire directly to the control panel, the control panel outputs can supply relays directly for fridge etc.

If yours doesn't have a separate tremat split charger you'd need to fit some kind of split charge relay lots of kits and options available there. Ideally you'd fit a low voltage disconnect to prevent the leisure battery from being excessively discharged.

Simple battery protection / disconnect:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTRON-ENERGY-BATTERY-PROTECT-40A-CAMPERS-BOATS-AMBUALNCES-ETC-/331851308135?hash=item4d43e11c67:g:IzEAAOSwnH1WYMYl

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASTERVOLT-BATTERY-WATCH-PART-NO-83200150-150A-BOTAS-CAMPERS-AMBULANCES-/331851308222?hash=item4d43e11cbe:g:fzsAAOSwG-1Wy4PB

Sir Liam could recommend a charger I'm sure, the whole lot could be could be sourced and fitted for less than the cost of repairing the old unit if you did it youself. If you had to pay someone it could be expensive.

Sadly I can't recommend a charger much as I love to know of one, every one I've tried has been underwhelming, good solar controllers are benchmark, building my own from solar controllers seems to be the only solution for me.

Sterling are good but use cheap components, . Victron is fair and AGM biased, Ctek haven't impressed me nor let me down they are not for FLA though.

Modular seems to be my solution. You just can't fit proper high current switchgear in a box that small.

Suppose a ProMariner from the States
    is a Sterling ProCharge Ultra with a 3 year longer warranty. Spec. 100V - 260V 50-60Hz input so it works worldwide.

Sell sheet

The gauges and fuses, shucks re-loom the broken unit to get the simple things back to order. You can disconnect the fuse bus to a new incomer and run a new feed to the gauges etc.

It costs more in lecky to perma-float the house battery on most chargers in two years than a modest solar rig. Iirc my Sterling PCU is ~10% efficient when floating...that's actually good for a big charger by standards.
    The custom charge option is a plus and it's no girl's blouse at equalising.

• Advertisement
Advertisement