Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BScIT YR3 flexible semester

Options
  • 18-05-2016 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am currently studying BScIT part time and will be entering 3rd year in September.

We have three options for the flexible semester,

Work based report
    Work placement
    Online certified course (Java + adobe suite)

I am currently working full time so the placement is out, not sure if the report appeals to me as I would rather try and keep learning so January isn't a shock to the system.

Is it possible to complete other online courses such as cisco or Microsoft.net or would anyone recommend any other certified courses to complete.

Also views on the above would be welcome regarding report v certified courses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Definitely swap to SSD rather than IT for 4th year.

If you have a 4th year in IT rather than SSD and have no experience your pretty much unemployable or the jobs you get you would get with no Degree. Online certified course might stand to you but id be seriously be filling a Github account full of various projects to show you actually give a **** and enjoy it rather than just go to college for the sake of it.

No work experience, 1.1, java Cert and stacked Github Account you might get something.

No work experience, less than a 1.1 and **** all in Github. Waste of time.

You're gonna be in competition with people who have work experience, 1.1s and projects done. You need to create at least a bit of leverage for yourself. Dont be the person who always just gets beaten to the job by someone with a bit more work done.

Advertisement