Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cider

Options
  • 17-05-2016 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to make a nice medium cider, probably about 10-15L. I've done beer (extract and BIAB) and mead, and had good success with them, but I've never been able to get a good cider. We're living with the inlaws so brewing beer is out, but brewing cider is less disruptive. I'll be using supermarket juice and know a medium finish will need backsweetening, but a tried and tested recipe would be great.

All suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Give this one a go: http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,15264.0.html

The addition of green apple flavour drops is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Artificial flavours in homebrewed cider is a bit stupid. If I wanted artificial flavours I'd drink Bulmers. No offence intended.

I suppose I should have said I'm looking for more of a French type cider, although I suspect I might be on a hiding to nothing.

Any other advice/tried and tested recipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If you want it sparkling and anything other than a (very) dry finish, you'll have to pasteurise, then backsweeten, then force carb. Or I suppose you could pasteurise before the fermentation is complete but you'd still have to force carb. I've seen some discussion of pasteurising already carbed bottles but this would require quite a bit of trial and error, and a high risk of exploding bottles.

Some recommend Splenda or it's Lidl equivalent for sweetening, but I think this gives a nasty aftertaste. Another option I've seen mentioned is Stevia which is natural and unfermentable but I haven't tried this; lactose might be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I am no cider expert but I recently threw a batch of dunnes apple juice with a wheat yeast. Nothing else added. I was attempting to get the estery bananna flavours from the yeast. Unfortunately the cooler spring didn't help as I was hoping for a warmer ferment temp but I am happy with the result. Carbonated with table sugar. Dry enough but tasty. Fermented down around 1.000 or less. I think you may have to add something to the cider to get it sweeter as previous posts have suggested. An artifically sweetend sugar perhaps? Gem light sugar is a combination of sugar and sweetener. Best of luck.

Advertisement