Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Painted-on number plates

Options
  • 17-05-2016 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Are these legal in Ireland?
    (Thinking it looks good on some of the curvy classics like E-type etc.)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

Merrion wrote: »
    Are these legal in Ireland?
    (Thinking it looks good on some of the curvy classics like E-type etc.)

You mean like the Jag and Porsche below? They appear to be painted on the E-Type and printed and stuck on the 911. I'm sure they are both legal (maybe not the colour of the one on the 911) and I'm pretty sure if they were painted to look like the legal plates then they'd be fine!

59726_535175396504069_651114821_n.jpg?oh=82c4717f5f259c335ff4af38c77d6e6e&oe=57D4C199

155007_526065760748366_2129140955_n.jpg?oh=ce351755a2e2005f24412bd55cabcc23&oe=57D2164D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

i'm not sure from what date you had to have reflective plates but I'm sure there would be no problem with a classic.

These plates "back in the day" usually consisted of separate self adhesive background and numerals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

couple of pimped cars driving around bray with no front plates at all....must have Garda relatives..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,844 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Earlier cars and tractors tended to have reg numbers painted on bodywork or on a numberplate-sized steel plate.

The tractor numbers were often quite crudely painted on or stuck-on numerals/letters...making no effort to keep them in a straight line.

2nbhwjn.jpg

definitely stick on because I once peeled them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

2nbhwjn.jpg

definitely stick on because I once peeled them off.

Its so cute...why cant they make cars like that anymore..:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to have a crash in one of them :pac:
    Oh true L, but one of the big things that usually hits people when they see classics/older cars up close is how smaller and lighter and airier in general they look and feel and often drive, with more connection to the road and driving itself. Modern cars have most certainly become safer with more cool stuff on board, which is great, but along with that has come much in the way of bloat, unless you're in the truly exotic market.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

my garage man came to collect my Capri today and said "back in the day you were the man driving a Cap-pri".... won't do too many burn outs in mine tonight....1600 auto... :-)

The Hillman Imp was probably quicker...(My Dad's first car, about 50 years of age at the time, times change)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,844 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Its so cute...why cant they make cars like that anymore..:(

Safety has a lot to do with making cars similar-ish, crumple zones and all that.
    A 1950's 'Yank Tank' performs very very poorly in crash tests.

Perhaps conservatism of car buyers may be a factor as well.

Although having said that I see a small number of retro styled cars, the new Fiat 500 which is not a million miles away from the appearance of its ancestor, the Nissan Figaro has a retro-cutesy look and the somewhat less attractive Chrysler offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I put them on a triumph spitfire I owned when I was a young lad back in the 80's. They came in a kit, peel off back and stick on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement