Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tasting menu

Options
  • 17-05-2016 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi just saw vouchers for sabor Brazil and l'ecrivain. Thinking of going for hubbys bday but can't decide which one to go for

Any suggestions pls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Sabor Brazil is an amazing food experience i would highly recommend, but i was waiting months for a reservation so you should ring first before buying the voucher!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Having looked at the Sabor Brazil menu, I find it uninspiring and hard to see how they can justify €100 for it. I spent 2-4 weeks in Brazil per year with inlaws. Nothing that they have described would be regarded as any more adventurous than Irish stew. There are much more interesting ingredients and recipes within the Brazilian oeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OP, hilarious they way you ask a simple question and get (almost) anything but a straight reply!

If you do a search on here, you'll see the Sabor gets great feedback when they do these deals, but the waiting time is very long for a reservation. That's probably because it's so popular. l'ecrivain is one of the nicer restaurants in Dublin and you probably wouldn't be disappointed with that one either. Have a look at the menus and pick according to your preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Marcusm wrote: »
    Having looked at the Sabor Brazil menu, I find it uninspiring and hard to see how they can justify €100 for it. I spent 2-4 weeks in Brazil per year with inlaws. Nothing that they have described would be regarded as any more adventurous than Irish stew. There are much more interesting ingredients and recipes within the Brazilian oeuvre.

Sabor's menu is intended to be an Irish take on Brazilian food.

We can source simple brazilian ingredients like cachaca but it becomes difficult when you're looking for a brazilian style cut of beef for a steak. Irish butchers generally provide Irish cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I've never eaten in Sabor, so I can't comment about it either way. I have eaten in L'Ecrivan, and it was excellent, well worth the deal. Reservations were also a problem, so take that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

Sabor Brazil gets my vote - have been there 3 times in last 5 months and 2 more vouchers bought.
    The food is very good and the service fantastic - attentive without being intrusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Been to Sabor once before , it was good but not great. Saying that i did pick up a deal for it again, can't remember how much but nearly half price i think. Would never pay full price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moshea

angelmum wrote: »
    Hi just saw vouchers for sabor Brazil and l'ecrivain. Thinking of going for hubbys bday but can't decide which one to go for

Any suggestions pls

Have been to both. Loved em both. You can't go wrong.

That said, and while I might return to L'ecrivain quicker, I'd recommend Sabor ahead of it ... to someone who'd never been to either. Its just a little bit different, and felt that little bit more special.

-M.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Also been to both and they're both really excellent. Probably had a better overall experience in Sabor but loved them both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Where are the vouchers been sold ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moshea

Not sure if they're the same one's as OP is refering to but they're mostly always available on ..

http://thetaste.ie/wp/product-category/fine-dining/

-M.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭angelmum

moshea wrote: »
    Not sure if they're the same one's as OP is refering to but they're mostly always available on ..

http://thetaste.ie/wp/product-category/fine-dining/

-M.

Yup that's where I saw the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭angelmum

Thanks everyone. Sabor Brazil is unfortunately close on Monday. Still undecided with l'ecrivain. Getting worried with the service charge as read someone got charged 12.5% of original price (€200+). Any other suggestion please budget is only around €100 for 2. reading from here looks like l'ecrivain will be hard to book as well . It's for hubby's bday and would like to treat somewhere special

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Sabor's menu is intended to be an Irish take on Brazilian food.

We can source simple brazilian ingredients like cachaca but it becomes difficult when you're looking for a brazilian style cut of beef for a steak. Irish butchers generally provide Irish cuts.

The meat is not the issue and it is very easy to get Brazilian cuts of beef (especially picanha in Dublin). In fact at one stage there were 300+ Brazilians processing beef in Gort alone. MY comments were related to the general boringness of their tasting menu; pao de queijo as a course?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Bang is running a special centennial tasting menu at the moment for €40/person. Really lovely food, excellent service. If you can stretch your budget they do matching wines for €19.16.

http://www.bangrestaurant.com/1916-centenary-menu/

Advertisement