Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS15, i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD

Options
  • 17-05-2016 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying one of these http://www.dell.com/ie/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd?oc=cnx5512&model_id=xps-15-9550-laptop.

This particular offer ends today but I'm in no rush and can wait for another deal or discount.

I've been reading reviews / forum posts and there seem to be a lot of reports of driver problems and BSODs.

Just wondered if anyone here has any personal experience of the XPS 15, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Sorry people. I've just noticed that that there was a thread strated on the 16th that referenced the XPS 15.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Its a beast of a machine, highly upgradable too which is unusual these days. I am tempted by it over a Macbook Pro tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

I hope to use it for some photoediting. There seem to be bad reports about the uhd screen for that purpose so if I pull the trigger on it, I'll probably go for the fhd.

There's one small thing I noticed that's a pity in a machine of this quality; the power cord jack seems to stick straight out an inch or so from the side. It looks like an accident waiting to happen if you use it on your lap. A right angled jack or preferably a magnetic connection would be good.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Lissavane wrote: »
    I hope to use it for some photoediting. There seem to be bad reports about the uhd screen for that purpose so if I pull the trigger on it, I'll probably go for the fhd.

There's one small thing I noticed that's a pity in a machine of this quality; the power cord jack seems to stick straight out an inch or so from the side. It looks like an accident waiting to happen if you use it on your lap. A right angled jack or preferably a magnetic connection would be good.

The power jack is something most manufacturers still neglect tbh. Microsoft Surface have a good one, as well as Apple. Although Apples power jacks also have their own problems.

But I think with the Dell at least, it's a long standing and proven jack type. It should be robust. It's a shame about the UHD screen, I've heard about a lot of complaints about it. Performance issues, reducing battery life noticeably and colour reproduction is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I have physically seen and played around one of these. Stunning machine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement