Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small studio advice

Options
  • 17-05-2016 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭

background info and details:

We have a small photo studio ( approx. 4Mx4M) a Nikon D750 with a sigma ART 35mm 1.4.

We have 2XContinuious lighting softboxes+1 boom overhead continuous lighting softbox ( used primarily for babies)

also a strobe softbox and strobe Umbrella used mainly in portraits.

One wall is pained matt white and the other non reflective chalkboard black.

The problem:

When shooting against the two different backgrounds it takes a bit of photo shopping to clean them up as the model is usually within a half meter of the background.

Any tips, suggestions or settings we could use to control depth of field in this scenario?

The black background requires way more editing than the white.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

In what way does it need to be Photoshopped? Is it a case of the white not being white and the black not being black?

If you want the white to be pure white add and extra light behind the model onto the backdrop.
    If you want the black to be deeper you need to control the light more, try feathering the soft boxes so less light lands on the backdrop, you can always add a home made flag for extra control. The umbrella will throw light all over the place so controlling where the light falls is more difficult.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

as the model is usually within a half meter of the background.

There's your problem right there. Any light on the subject is going to fall onto the background at that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

There's your problem right there. Any light on the subject is going to fall onto the background at that distance.

yea, Problem is cant really get that much further away so the background is as clear as day and every imprefection is visible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have tried underexposing the model in high key by about 1 to 2 stops. Then when correcting in RAW the background will then blow.

With the low key you could try the reverse and overexpose. The detail from the background then may clip with the RAW adjustment. I have not tried this as I have enough room in my set up to get the model about 2-3m from the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭bullpost

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »

was thinking of one of those but current budget doesnt extend that far!!

Next time i see one on sale though!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

was thinking of one of those but current budget doesnt extend that far!!

Next time i see one on sale though!!

I have one and I'm thinking of putting it up on adverts as I'm not using it at all. PM me if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

if that's the space you have and you have to use PS, maybe learn how to blur the backdrop properly instead of cloning/healing every fibre.

pwllor wrote: »
    if that's the space you have and you have to use PS, maybe learn how to blur the backdrop properly instead of cloning/healing every fibre.

The worrkflow is pretty easy, Its just a quick tidy up with healing tool, a mask and portraiture smooths out the rest. Its just a bit tedious to do it all the time.

I have one and I'm thinking of putting it up on adverts as I'm not using it at all. PM me if you're interested.

Ill talk to the boss :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement