Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my laurel hedge dying?

Options
  • 17-05-2016 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hi, planted a laurel hedge (75 plants at 3-4 ft) around 3 weeks ago.
    Have been watering it maybe 2-3 times per week, around 30 seconds per plant to ensure plenty of moisture at the roots.
    The landscaper also came back after 1 week and put down some fertilizer.

Most of them do appear to be budding but there are lots of yellow and brown leaves.
    Are these likely to die or is it just a result of planting so late?

Any advice?

386171.jpg

386172.jpg

386173.jpg

386174.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Hi, planted a laurel hedge (75 plants at 3-4 ft) around 3 weeks ago.
    Have been watering it maybe 2-3 times per week, around 30 seconds per plant to ensure plenty of moisture at the roots.
    The landscaper also came back after 1 week and put down some fertilizer.

Most of them do appear to be budding but there are lots of yellow and brown leaves.
    Are these likely to die or is it just a result of planting so late?

Any advice?

386171.jpg

386172.jpg

386173.jpg

386174.jpg
    There's a lot of holes in those leaves! Are the holes only on the yellow leaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Roselm wrote: »
    There's a lot of holes in those leaves! Are the holes only on the yellow leaves?

Yes, for the most part, but some of the green leaves are going yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

I set approx 60meters of a laurel hedge 4 years ago in Feb / March time of the year. I also watered the hedge frequently during dry spells as you are doing and also gave it fertiliser for first 2 springs. For the first summer or two I also had some of the plants with yellow leaves etc some with what looked like burnt holes in them. All I done was cut them off if they looked bad! Hedge is now 4ft high (been trimmed the past 2 autumn's as I don't really want it growing any higher) and fully green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I set approx 60meters of a laurel hedge 4 years ago in Feb / March time of the year. I also watered the hedge frequently during dry spells as you are doing and also gave it fertiliser for first 2 springs. For the first summer or two I also had some of the plants with yellow leaves etc some with what looked like burnt holes in them. All I done was cut them off if they looked bad! Hedge is now 4ft high (been trimmed the past 2 autumn's as I don't really want it growing any higher) and fully green.

Thanks, good to hear.
    You saying I should trim the yellow leaves or just let them die off naturally?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Thanks, good to hear.
    You saying I should trim the yellow leaves or just let them die off naturally?

I just trimmed any that had gone very yellow and had holes in them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement