Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video camera and audio recording for outdoor use

Options
  • 17-05-2016 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking at buying a video camera and audio recorder for outdoor use. I record a lot of nature and find with my current camera most of the videos a ruined by wind noise or I have to stop filming because of rain.

Most of my searches so far have resulted on CCTV security camera results or GoPros with an external mic which reduces it waterproof features.

I've decided to ask here because my knowledge on the subject isn't great. My budget may be a problem I only have €400 to spend tops.

I currently have a Sony legria HF and render for youtube in 720 MP4 (I don't know does this mater?)

I'm after something that can:

Record in rain (Waterproof, water resistant)
    Record in wind (wind reduction mic, or separate audio recorder)
    Record in HD
    Battery life of 2+ hours
    Decent memory or SD slot

Where would be a good place to start searching for this?
    Is my budget a bit low for what I'm after?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Hiya

Your camera is fine, do you need it to be waterproof so you can leave it recording remotely? If not then why not get a small green umbrella? Waterproof enclosures are expensive. A cheap option would be a sealable bag and use a lens hood to protect the lens from the rain?

For sound you need a windsock. I don't know of any for a handycam but you could make one with some cotton wool or foam over the mic on your camera. If you want an external recorder you could get a Zoom H1 with a windsock. These are great reecorderes for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

http://www.trail-camera.co.uk/

not sure if this is what you are after,

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Hey,

Thanks for the reply's.

My camera is a Canon Legria HF r48. Don't ask why I thought it was sony. I don't think the R48 has a lens cap attachment? Ya I need it to be waterproof so I can set it up and leave it for a few hours and not worry about if it rains or not. The Zoom H1 looks good. I suppose I would need to waterproof that also. I must search some DIY methods for waterproofing. Would it be worth a shot gluing cotton wool to the front mic on my camera? The are just little slots i the front.

@sunny2004 It's kinda like what I'm after. I record nature sounds (lakes, rivers, waterfalls, birds, animals) for relaxation and to aid sleep. When recording beside a lake shore there tends to always be some wind which ruins videos. I'm looking for something that means I can record pretty much anytime and weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm no audio pro, but I think you can't really have both. Clear audio with windproofing requires a sock but a sock isn't weatherproof.

Large enough umbrella, weighted tripod, windproof mic. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

ED E wrote: »
    Large enough umbrella ...

... will give you the unmistakable sound of rain battering an umbrella! :pac:

Waterproofing is always difficult, and no matter how waterproof the camera body is, you'll always have the problem of swirly misty rain ending up on the lens.

For cheap solutions to wind-noise, search YouTube with the phrase "DIY deadcat" to get numerous examples of how to minimise wind noise (clever use of fake fur being the common denominator in the majority.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement