Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need to do a theory test?

Options
  • 17-05-2016 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I am going on holidays soon with my partner and we are going to rent out mopeds for a day. Were hoping to get 125cc ones just for the bit of speed etc but I don't have a motorbike licence.
    I have a full car driving licence, does this cover me to drive a moped at all? It doesn't say it on my licence but a friend of mine was telling me that it does cover me...

Just wondering before I fork out €45 to do a theory test to get a provisional licence.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

niavd wrote: »
    I am going on holidays soon with my partner and we are going to rent out mopeds for a day. Were hoping to get 125cc ones just for the bit of speed etc but I don't have a motorbike licence.
    I have a full car driving licence, does this cover me to drive a moped at all? It doesn't say it on my licence but a friend of mine was telling me that it does cover me...

Just wondering before I fork out €45 to do a theory test to get a provisional licence.
    Thanks

Sorry to burst your bubble but you need to do a theory test, sit your test and pass it before your licence is valid outside of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Depends of the location/country (check with the destination), but I think "rumor has it", if you own a full B-Licence (Car) you can ride a bike up to 125cc, so you and your partner are safe (legally speaking).

Personally I don't think the problem is the theory test, you already know the code/rules, but riding a bike is different of driving a car. Different vehicles, different behavior, same road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you and your partner got your B licence before October 2006 then you can ride a moped. These are restricted to 45km/h and if you've no experience on a motorbike then even that can be too much. Anything over 45km/h you'll need a bike licence not a learners permit. A learners permit is only valid in Ireland, not Northern Ireland or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Portugal, Italy, France, Belgium, Germany and Austria allow the use of a 125cc motorcycle with only a car licence.

source: European Commission

Like I said before, depends of your destination

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭niavd

Thanks. Were visiting Italy and I can ride a moped, that's not my worry. I will get a bit of practice in between now and the holiday too.
    Bluestrattos, thanks very much for that info. I might email the bike hire company in Italy and see what they say as it would be a lot easier if we could just use our current licences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Portugal, Italy, France, Belgium, Germany and Austria allow the use of a 125cc motorcycle with only a car licence.

Weird I thought that they had standardised motorbike licences, which is why we got direct access, but obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭Goose81

niavd wrote: »

Thanks

Where are you going on holidays?

If its to a "sun" country you can drive pretty much anything on a car licence, they dont give a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭prunudo

Provisional license or learner permits as they are now aren't recognised outside this country. So you either need to have past your car test before 2006 or pass a bike test before you go.
    As far as I know, you are bound by the laws of the country which issued your license not the one you are entering so I'd double check that 125cc law for those European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You might hold the automatic entitlement to ride a 125 scooter if you were issued with a licence from that jurisdiction- it does not mean you can ride a bike there after getting off a plane.

I have no doubt that most of these places will let you ride a scooter most of the time on the back of a full B but strictly speaking they shouldn't; you can't ride a vehicle that you don't hold the correct category for.

For example, if you pass the B test and are automatically entitled to a tractor licence, if, for some reason, the NDLS didn't issue you with the W category, you may not drive a tractor- you'd have to have the category added to your licence first.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Weird I thought that they had standardised motorbike licences, which is why we got direct access, but obviously not.

No. Most of the rules were harmonised but in many countries, someone will still be issued the automatic entitlement to AM and W after passing the B test. Even in the UK since 2013, people are being issued AM and W on the back of passing the B test which hadn't been the case for many years.
    jvan wrote: »
    As far as I know, you are bound by the laws of the country which issued your license not the one you are entering.

Precisely.

Advertisement