Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad tasting tap water?

Options
  • 17-05-2016 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm just wondering how many people here have very bad tasting tap water? Mine is awful. I moved into my house about two years ago and bought a coffee machine around the same time. I was going to return it because everything from it tasted terrible until I realised it was the water and not the coffee pods. It has a noticeable plastic/stagnant taste to it. I live on the Cork Road/Kingsmeadow area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how many people here have very bad tasting tap water? Mine is awful. I moved into my house about two years ago and bought a coffee machine around the same time. I was going to return it because everything from it tasted terrible until I realised it was the water and not the coffee pods. It has a noticeable plastic/stagnant taste to it. I live on the Cork Road/Kingsmeadow area.

we're having horrible tasting water lately in kill st lawrence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Up in hazelbourne it can be very bad almost a chemical type smell and taste

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I wouldn't be surprised if something was added to the water to make it taste bad so people will be fooled into thinking that Irish water is needed and everyone should pay their bills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

its fine gael water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

tankbarry wrote: »

Thanks how I would describe it too. It's sort of like a plastic-y taste. Like if you get a new sports bottle and don't wash it before using, but much stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

tankbarry wrote: »

Chlorine is added to the water to kill bacteria, same as the vast majority of public water supplies in the world. The residual strength is usually less than 1 part per million. Fluoride is also added to most public water supplies at the behest of the HSE. However, it is most likely chlorine you can taste as most people can taste this when it is diluted in water by one part in 2, 000, 000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

JenniFurr wrote: »
    Thanks how I would describe it too. It's sort of like a plastic-y taste. Like if you get a new sports bottle and don't wash it before using, but much stronger.

i was only saying the same to my mother yesterday, that the water tastes and smells like chemicals. I'm in Ballybricken.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i wonder is there chlorine issues in the system

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wren2893

Mine also has a bad, "chemical" taste. It could well be a chlorine issue. I can often smell the chemicals in it before I drink it. AFAIK, flourine has a similar smell in water, but wouldn't cause a bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Sometimes if you hold a glass of water up to the light you can see tiny little floaters so I filter all drinking water now helps take the taste out of it too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

cococoady wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if something was added to the water to make it taste bad so people will be fooled into thinking that Irish water is needed and everyone should pay their bills

Or worse still buy bottled water, which would cost a lot more than paying your water bill

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

If yiou live in an old house it could be lead water. I have lead pipes going into my house. We drink all bottled water.

And still they expect me to pay:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

You might report your concerns to Irish Water and or the EPA.

Irish Water have an interactive map so you can see if there are issues in your area (http://www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/results/) & (http://www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/faq/) and the EPA have an annual report on Water Quality (http://www.epa.ie/pubs/reports/water/drinking/). I cannot see any issues with Waterford City, but there maybe a number of supply points.

Regardless of pay, do not pay debate, the staff at Irish Water are trying to improve the water service (as opposed to keeping it ticking over, as before) and your feedback on issues can only help that process.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

As the previous poster said, I would firstly report the problem and keep reporting it, I had someone call out to my house before.

At the end of the day water comes out of a pipe from a hole in the ground so by the time it gets to your tap imagine what its been through.

I would never drink tap water full stop. I would use it for tea and that but the thing is if there are chemicals in your water and you boil it then all your doin is increasing the chemical in the water.

I use Brita Filters and that really takes out the chlorine smell at least, I was told by a guy who installs industrial water filters that the Brita filters are actually quite good for what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Same in Viewmount, it's generally quite good but lately it's got a bad taste.

Advertisement