Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on Biology Marking Scheme

Options
  • 16-05-2016 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I was doing some Sec. A's from some Bio papers and I was trying to fully understand how marks are awarded. Heres an example Marking scheme

https://www.examinations.ie/tmp/1463433385_7380162.pdf#page=

Its from 2014

So say for Question 2 Sec. A, are the first two parts given 7 + 6, and the last parts are 1 each? or is it just the First two questions you get right. And then sometimes I see there aren't enough parts to divide the marks etc. etc.

Would really appreciate help in trying to get my head around it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Consonata wrote: »
    I was doing some Sec. A's from some Bio papers and I was trying to fully understand how marks are awarded. Heres an example Marking scheme

https://www.examinations.ie/tmp/1463433385_7380162.pdf#page=

Its from 2014

So say for Question 2 Sec. A, are the first two parts given 7 + 6, and the last parts are 1 each? or is it just the First two questions you get right. And then sometimes I see there aren't enough parts to divide the marks etc. etc.

Would really appreciate help in trying to get my head around it.

There are 9 answers to be given in Q2.

For the first correct answer you give you get 7 marks, for the second correct answer you give you get 6 marks, and for any of the remaining answers you get one mark each and it totals to 20.

This does not mean that part (a) of the question is worth 7. It's simply the first correct answer. So say you get part (a) and part (b) wrong, they both get zero. Then you get part (c) correct, you get 7, you get (d) wrong and get zero, then you get part (e) correct, you get 6, and any remaining answers you get right after that you get 1 mark per answer.

So effectively that year, if you only got 2 out of 9 parts correct you got 13/20.

In terms of the 'not enough parts to divide the marks'. Some questions (haven't read the paper) might have required multiple answers. Look back at the paper. In that particular question (b) (i) requires two answers and so does (b) (iv).

Advertisement