Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxation for work in Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

de_jeff wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm not from Ireland but I worked here in 2014 for 8 months (paid taxes etc).
    Left for a few months to go to Australia (also payed tax and got the refund for that)
    Now I am back since October 2015 (so 8 months already again and have just been paying taxes like usual)

I filled my P21 for 2015, but since revenue noticed I did not work for 11 months they want to know my worldwide income.

Since I only worked in Ireland for 3 months last year, taxback.com gives an estimate that I should receive a refund (of taxes that I've paid in 2015. I got a lot of tax credits but only used a little so the total amount of credits for 2015 would cover for all taxes I paid in 2015, and therefor I would be getting all taxes I paid in 2015 as a return)

Should I inform about the foreign income? (does revenue even know if and where I worked or not) and second of all, how would this affect that refund.

I mean I paid tax in Australia, I just got it all back when I left..

Any thoughts?

Cheers

You are taxable on the income here in Ireland at the Irish rates, if you are resident here for tax purposes.

Revenue won't know about foreign income unless you tell them, and it will effect the refund. Do Taxback know about your Australian income? If not, then their calcualtions are likely incorrect.

If you purposefully withold this kind of information from Revenue, obtain a refund that is not due, and it later comes to light, you could find yourself in all manner of trouble

Advertisement