Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rules at a junction ...

Options
  • 16-05-2016 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

I've recently passed my test but I have a question anyway. On the M50 (northbound) Ballymun exit, you come off the motorway up the sliproad and usually get stopped by a set of lights. When these go green and you want to head towards Ballymun and towards the city centre, you proceed straight through a second set of lights (A), then curve to the right so you end up going over the M50. There is another set of lights (B) at the end of the bridge.

What usually happens is that the B lights go red and traffic builds up over the bridge, back around the curve, all the way back to almost the A lights. This is pretty unavoidable because it isn't clear when passing A that the traffic has stopped further up. In other words, cars end up stuck in no-man's-land having already passed the set of lights at A. There's no hatching at the junction.

If you're stuck in this position, then what happens is that lights to your left go green. The traffic waiting there suddenly piles towards the cars already stopped and an almighty mess ensues as people already on the junction try to continue, and traffic on their left has a green light and assumes this traffic should let them continue.

In my mind, the traffic already on the junction should have right of way but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

There was a somewhat similar post previously regarding a green light on a roundabout.

A green light does not grant any special power or privileges to a motorist.

It merely allows a car to proceed - IF CLEAR.

The council perhaps could help by changing the timing of the lights.

In the meantime just carry on. Each time you stop leave just sufficient space that you can clear the car in front if it can not start/breaks down.

If someone squeezes partly into that space - just smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

jellyfius wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've recently passed my test but I have a question anyway. On the M50 (northbound) Ballymun exit, you come off the motorway up the sliproad and usually get stopped by a set of lights. When these go green and you want to head towards Ballymun and towards the city centre, you proceed straight through a second set of lights (A), then curve to the right so you end up going over the M50. There is another set of lights (B) at the end of the bridge.

What usually happens is that the B lights go red and traffic builds up over the bridge, back around the curve, all the way back to almost the A lights. This is pretty unavoidable because it isn't clear when passing A that the traffic has stopped further up. In other words, cars end up stuck in no-man's-land having already passed the set of lights at A. There's no hatching at the junction.
    If you're stuck in this position, then what happens is that lights to your left go green. The traffic waiting there suddenly piles towards the cars already stopped and an almighty mess ensues as people already on the junction try to continue, and traffic on their left has a green light and assumes this traffic should let them continue.

In my mind, the traffic already on the junction should have right of way but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Hatching does not matter - it's merely a visual reminder to drivers of what applies to every junction; do not block it impeding other cars if the lights change.

You're allowed enter a junction space if turning right, but if there's a car in there you're meant to not enter - you can't queue in there one behind the other.

People ignore laws and councils "design" ridiculous junctions, with pedestrian traffic lights on edges of roundabouts, etc, the combination of which leads to half of the traffic jams that exist.

One street in Limerick for years had "left or straight ahead, use both lanes"; that doesn't give the person on the right lane the right to turn left across a car on its left, which might be going straight; both legal as per the sign, but a recipe for an accident when people took it literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

driving a car in heavy traffic is somewhat similar to being in a long long queue, one that winds it way around the block.

If someone wishes to cross the queue to get into a shop, no problem, allow then in. (and out)

Same in a car, in a junction leave a gap for crossing traffic, otherwise maintain your position in the queue..

Advertisement