Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a shirt to fit!!!!

Options
  • 16-05-2016 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

I will ask this here as it has loads of traffic.

I need to buy some shirts.

I have an issue though, I have a 44 inch chest in suits, but really it more I have large shoulders and big(ish) arms.
    I have a 34 inch waist so any shirt I buy is in large or X-large to fit my arms and shoulders, it then looks like a tent on my middle section.

Any ideas for guys that keep (somewhat) fit?

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

OP, please do not start the exact same thread across multiple fora.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

OP, please do not start the exact same thread across multiple fora.

Thread re-opened after discussion with the OP.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Tailored/slim fit

Really, go to a menswear shop and ask them. You won't be anything they haven't seen before I promise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Tailored/slim fit

Really, go to a menswear shop and ask them. You won't be anything they haven't seen before I promise

I have. went into a good few shops.

Jack Jones seem to tailor for the very slim style.
    Diesel was good
    Superdry, same as Jack jones.

Not saying I am massive or anything, but if I want a shirt that isnt tucked into pants they are all like tents on my waist area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

allibastor wrote: »
    I have. went into a good few shops.

Jack Jones seem to tailor for the very slim style.
    Diesel was good
    Superdry, same as Jack jones.

Not saying I am massive or anything, but if I want a shirt that isnt tucked into pants they are all like tents on my waist area.

They aren't good shops for shirts. All shirts in those shops will be standard S, M, L, etc. sizes.
    Go to a menswear shop like TM Lewin or Best or M&S. Get your neck size measured, then try on the different shirt styles (fitted, tailored, super fitted) until you have the right size.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

awec wrote: »
    I think he's looking casual shirts, not suit shirts.

Casual shirts (even from TM Lewin) come in S, M, L etc.

TM Lewin do do suit shirts that look quite casual too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

awec wrote: »
    I think he's looking casual shirts, not suit shirts.

Casual shirts (even from TM Lewin) come in S, M, L etc.

They still do different fittings. Slim, super slim etc. I think nearly all of Zara's shirts are in some way fitted too. And then split in to casual, slim & superslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Devils Edge Shirt Co.
    Worth a look for bespoke shirts.

Thanks guys,

It is just a few shirts I am after, have to start wearing them for new promotion.

As said I am not in anyway massive or anything so dont understand why they dont fit.
    17.5 inch neck, 44 chest, 19 inch arms and 34 waist.

Fecking pain is all it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

OP as I said in the original AH thread, rather than searching for the brand that will give you the perfect fit just get some good quality shirts that are the right fit in the shoulders/arms and then take them to an alterations place to have them taken in.

• Administrators Posts: 53,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

allibastor wrote: »
    I will ask this here as it has loads of traffic.

I need to buy some shirts.

I have an issue though, I have a 44 inch chest in suits, but really it more I have large shoulders and big(ish) arms.
    I have a 34 inch waist so any shirt I buy is in large or X-large to fit my arms and shoulders, it then looks like a tent on my middle section.

Any ideas for guys that keep (somewhat) fit?

Thanks,

I'd the same issue (but with a smaller neck thankfully!) Some shirts looked like a cocktail umbrella turned upside down around the midriff and sprayed on across chest and shoulders.

The problem with neck size is that it makes the assumption that the rest of your body is in that same proportion. If you're triangular it doesn't work out too well.

I found guide shirts (try penthouse in Jervis) and the ASOS own brand slim fit oxford shirts sized up to be good.

Also any shirt that has a neck size make sure it has "darts" in the back of the shirt. Giving it the tailored look.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I went out and bought a short sleeve shirt in Diesel, just going to wear a blazer over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

oh dont talk to me about shirts, i have a 17 inch neck so every shirt i get is swimming on me, i dread big loose arms and big baggy shirts tucked into my pants, i want a shirt with tight arms, room at the front and tapered into the back, is that too much to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I struggle with getting shirts to fit.

Have between 17" & 18" neck, big shoulders and a belly so alot of the time shirts that fit my neck comfortably look like a bloody moomoo.

Ive found M & S to be pretty decent. Most of them have to be the slim fit though to compensate for my neck.

The problem with the likes of J&J is that they are catering for a very specific build, skinny. Anyone thats broad or a chubbster like myself has no hope of getting anything in there that would fit.

Also the fact that Im 37 means even if they did fit me they would look preposterous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Spin down to kildare village - huge selection of mens stores.
    Musto would be slim fit, Brooks bros are a larger fit. Tommy hilfiger have different sleeve lengths (as do Brooks)
    Then there's Thomas Pink, Ralph Lauren, savoys tailors guild, armani, boss, diesel, timberland and a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

mickdw wrote: »
    Devils Edge Shirt Co.
    Worth a look for bespoke shirts.

Does anyone know roughly the cost of a bespoke shirt from this crowd?

Advertisement