Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent beginner gaming laptop for DD?

Options
  • 16-05-2016 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hi

DD is looking for a starter gaming laptop. She loves Minecraft but will probably be playing other games. Budget is €500 ish..

Other requirements are just basic word and maybe some video editing. Nothing hectic just beginner stuff but something that can grow with her for a while.

15-15.6 screen.
    Graphics card..not sure what type..

Any suggestions on laptops? Or what kind of starting specs I should be looking for would be much appreciated. I'm not very up on laptops..or the best places to purchase and brands..

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What are the other games? If they're Minecraft-ish, Sims 4, etc something like this is a decent all rounder for small money.

If the other games are stuff like Fallout 4, Black Ops 3 and other AAA titles it's just not possible for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

Much appreciated TerrorFirmer. Thanks.

DD isn't in the Black Ops territory yet, but she may wish to play something like Plants and Zombies..or similar age range.

Her birthday is coming up so if I was willing to add to her budget how much more would I be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Interested looking for same for my own daughter she would want to play a game called ark survival as well as sims mine raft etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pixied wrote: »
    Much appreciated TerrorFirmer. Thanks.

DD isn't in the Black Ops territory yet, but she may wish to play something like Plants and Zombies..or similar age range.

Her birthday is coming up so if I was willing to add to her budget how much more would I be looking at?

Sorry, I don't know what DD means? Those kinds of games though are fairly light on the system generally speaking, won't take much horsepower! The one mentioned would be fine, the next step up would be a machine with an Nvidia GT940M, which would come in at €600-650+.

If it's Plants VS Zombies Garden Warfare, then a GT940 would really be a minimum recommendation for a new laptop.
    Interested looking for same for my own daughter she would want to play a game called ark survival as well as sims mine raft etc

Ark is a very intensive game and would require a pretty hefty laptop to run well - at least €850-900+ to get any sort of good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Sorry, I don't know what DD means?

Not to take a pop at the OP but it means Dear Daughter. I hate that acronym (The mods on the parenting forum even frown on it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Terrier firmer thanks well I'm not willing to spend that much so will look into desktops instead. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

Thanks for your kind and helpful advice TerrorFirmer.

Advertisement