Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating a large tree

Options
  • 16-05-2016 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I've to cut down a large apple tree to make way for a new drive way.
    I hate that we have to cut it down as I love it but we don't have a choice.

I've been thinking about possibly relocating it 4 metres along the wall, left of the image. Am I crazy thinking this can be done for a reasonable price?
    Has anyone any experience of this?

jPPhjng.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

regardless of the issues of moving it - you'd need a crane - this is not the time of year to try it.
    if you do cut it down, try to find a local woodworker/woodturner who may take the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The cost of moving it wouldn't be small and the amount of aftercare would be huge. It looks like it is close to a wall so getting an even rootball out may prove very difficult. Pity its a lovely looking tree.

If you have an emotional attachment to the tree you could get a graft done.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

This is not a small job by any means. Ideally it should be performed over the space of three years.
    On year one the ground around the trees roots needs to be dug out, on one side. This will cut the largest roots which can be a shock to the tree. However, as the tree remains where it is it won't be a severe shock. Also, this pruning of roots will encourage young root growth which will give it a head start when moved.
    On year two repeat the above for the other side.
    On year three you're repeating the above but for the area under the tree, and moving the actual tree itself to its new home where a hole is ready and waiting.

This is the ideal way, in brief summary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Time wise it needs to be done this Summer. It looks like it isn't going to be possible to save it. I believe I'm also a bit late in the season for grafting, amen't I? Should have thought of that one sooner.
    I had planned to keep the wood to have it made in to a nice piece of furniture if I needed to cut it down.
    I'll be very sad to see it go. I've had bees in the garden the past few years and they really improved pollination. This led on to seeing birds having more apples to feed on throughout the winter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Oldtree wrote: »
    If you have an emotional attachment to the tree you could get a graft done.
    is it a bit late to get a graft done, if it has to move by the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I've to cut down a large apple tree to make way for a new drive way.
    I hate that we have to cut it down as I love it but we don't have a choice.

:)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

You seem to have a nice driveway already , pity to have to get rid of it

Garden is being split to build another house at the end of the garden. Original plan was to have the driveway be part of the new house.
    Neighbours objected that garden was too small for new house and it would put a car from the original house onto the street and cause congestion.
    Council decided to make the original driveway into extra garden space and that a new driveway be built closer to original house.
    New driveway entrance needs to be built, reducing one spot to park on the street, and the apple tree has to be removed.

Effects wrote: »
    I had planned to keep the wood to have it made in to a nice piece of furniture if I needed to cut it down.
    find out how it should be cut (for woodworking) before you cut it down. it'll start to split on you if not treated correctly.

Luckily the trunk isn't too think. It should be relatively easy to transport it to have it milled. I've an Alaskan mill but it cuts planks with a thicker kerf that I rather avoid with this tree.

• Advertisement

ah, sounds like you know what you're doing. more than i would know certainly.

i've turned applewood, it's lovely wood to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

its a goner...just plant another 1 in its memory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

its a goner...just plant another 1 in its memory

I think I just heard a bell toll :(

ah, sounds like you know what you're doing. more than i would know certainly.

i've turned applewood, it's lovely wood to work with.

I've half a notion! I've a bit of land down the country so do a bit of tree work down there. Recently took down a sycamore that as hanging over a barn. Going to turn it into a table and bench with the chainsaw mill.

Always wanted to get into turning wood but I've too many pastimes as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

is it a bit late to get a graft done, if it has to move by the summer?

it is now :D but if the drive could wait till autumn then it would be.

Advertisement