Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up as an Artist

Options
  • 16-05-2016 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hello all.

I'm currently living overseas in Continental Europe. Returning to Ireland in 2017.

I've been self employed her for the past 20 years. Owner of 3 businesses, multiple employees etc ...

Really enjoyed the experience ... but it's time to sell up and fall back to what i love, Art - as i have zero creative time as stands.

I've a degree from NCAD and various certificates from other institutions.

My intentions are to setup an Artist Studio in Roscommon - I have a house and workshop/ garage there - so studio space and living quarters aren't an issue. Although i will need to pump money in to each building, as they are in poor condition.

What I'm foggy about is the best way for me to set up, the steps and what to become.

1) Visual Artist?
    I plan to work mainly in print (Lino & Woodblock printing) - therefore do i fall into the Visual Artist bracket? I will paint, illustrate and draw also.

2) Self-Employed?
    Do i set up as a Self Employed for the PAYE system? Is this the best approach?

3) Tax Exemption?
    As a self-employed artist i can qualify for the Artists Tax Exemption - correct?

4) Part-time employment?
    I believe i can work part-time if jobs come up during lean times without losing my Artist Tax Exemption?

5) Department of Social Protection
    Can i avail of Benefits form the Department of Social Protection? Is there an 'Artist Dole'? I know there is here on the Continent.

6) Grants/ Funding/ Financial Assistance
    Are there any grants/ financial assistance i can avail of for setup?
    I saw previously on RTE's Nationwide show at Showcase Ireland persons availing of financial assistance for equipment. Who to approach?
    How about the fact that i am setting up in Roscommon?

7) Best Resources for me to read up on?
    www.artscouncil.ie
    www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Arts/
    www.visualartists.ie
    www.illustratorsireland.com

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated folks... no matter how small... truly grateful.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jumbootoys

Hi justmyself i m new in board and i am crafty person my company making paper toys for kids and teens look at my site for more toys and more inquiries, we deliver our toys all over India with free shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,194 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am not being dismissive of your question but the most helpful thing to suggest putting 'working as an artist in Ireland' into google (without the quote marks). You will get information from the tax and social security departments, and Citizens Advice which will answer most of your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭justmyself

Thanks looksee.

To be honest I was hoping to hear from persons already set up as an Artist.

And that maybe they could give me some pointers.

Sorry... maybe i wasn't too clear in my request.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,194 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It seems unlikely that you could come to a new area and just set up as an artist making a living wage. Everyone is different in their situations and one person's story is not necessarily going to fit your situation.

Before you will get any sort of grants you will have to demonstrate talent; I realise this is very subjective and that many artists are very reluctant to be 'judged worthy', but to avail of public funds or private grants you have to show that you have a worthwhile talent.

You seem to be suggesting that you are going to do this, rather than asking whether you should. You are also saying that you will have to work on your premises; come back and do that, and in the meantime start producing work and showing it. If you can use savings from your businesses and give yourself at least 12 months of building up a portfolio and a couple of even local exhibitions you might then be in a position to ask for grants and tax relief, by which time you will have a good idea of what is possible and how you want to approach your art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

You can apply for artist's exemption but you have to fulfil a number of criteria in order to qualify (I think it is 3).

You can also sign on while having artist's exemption status. You have to declare your exempt earnings at the end of the tax year on the self-assessment form.

It might be a good idea to have different revenue streams, whether it be online, or night classes etc.

Also, have your products at hand, ready to distribute to outlets along the west coast, hotels, airport shops, gift shops etc. So they can be earning you an income as you get set up in your house / studio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 corkonian60

Visual Artists Ireland surveyed artists practicing in Ireland. 85% make less than 10k€/ year. Unless you have established a name for yourself, after age 50, your chances of exhibiting are low. Ireland is inundated with talented visual artists, competition is tough, many galleries look for young artists to add to their stable if they have room, those who have time to develop their practice. Keep an eye in VAI news sheet at the end of the year for galleries looking for proposals for 2018. Most galleries take 50% of price. Figure in framing, materials, and distribution costs. Art is an expensive hobby.
    Water charges, property tax, high rents and motgages and cost of living have all factored in consumers not investing in art.
    You register with Revenue Commissioners as self-employed, but as an artist, it will be questioned. You will probably be living off savings ir investments. To receive tax exemption, you must meet certain criteria. If you intend on selling your prints as greeting cards or in another commercial form, it will be viewed as a craft, not fine art, therefore, taxable.
    Join a local artist community. Going solo is harder to maintain enthusiasm than having group support. Most government funding is allocated to community schemes or established venues or groups who have a track record of significantly adding culture to the local community.

If you intend on selling your prints as greeting cards or in another commercial form, it will be viewed as a craft, not fine art, therefore, taxable.

Thanks for the overview corkonian60 - very insightful - greatly appreciated.
    That reminds me too, I must connect more with VAI to be more in the loop.

On your point above.
    How exactly do the Revenue Commissioners differentiate between Fine Art and Craft?

Is it as simple as 'one offs' are Fine Art... as in:

- a Ceramist producing a one off clay sculpture as opposed to a mini series of 10?
    - One off Screen/ Lino Print, as opposed to a signed limited run of 50?

I'm guessing as soon as you begin listing/ selling on Etsy etc rather than showcasing at a gallery they'll view you as Commercial?

Are there any clear guidelines anywhere to reference - that differentiate both?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 corkonian60

Google to revenue Ireland website. Under taxes and duties,click on income tax, find reliefs & exemptions, then click on artists exemption and guidelines.

Advertisement