Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Computing Vs Information Technology Vs Computer Science

Options
  • 15-05-2016 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all
    I know you may find this query a little bit old , but I made a search but couldn't find full answer, thus am very very confused.
    I studied one year I.T in W.I.T, I did not find much programming materials nor in the following years as I had a look.
    There is almost a census that I.T graduates are not candidates for programming positions.
    I like programming so much and I want to specialize in.
    I want to change to Applied Computing course and I will have to start from the first year again which is very frustrating but I can be patient if it's worth i.e. graduates cab be considered as programmers by the employers.
    On the other hand, I had a look at the Computer Science course in UCC and the syllabus has many programming languages, however , they do not consider students' applications from other third-level institution.

If we compare A.C vs I.T vs C.S , what are the pros and cons for each in regards or qualification obtained, programming languages learned , reputation for employers and the content?

Kindest Regards.

Which is better for programming career? 2 votes

Applied Computing
    0%
    Computer Science
    50%
    thoker 1 vote
    Information Technology
    50%
    callaway92 1 vote

Comments

John05sy wrote: »
    Hi all
    I know you may find this query a little bit old , but I made a search but couldn't find full answer, thus am very very confused.
    I studied one year I.T in W.I.T, I did not find much programming materials nor in the following years as I had a look.
    There is almost a census that I.T graduates are not candidates for programming positions.
    I like programming so much and I want to specialize in.
    I want to change to Applied Computing course and I will have to start from the first year again which is very frustrating but I can be patient if it's worth i.e. graduates cab be considered as programmers by the employers.
    On the other hand, I had a look at the Computer Science course in UCC and the syllabus has many programming languages, however , they do not consider students' applications from other third-level institution.

If we compare A.C vs I.T vs C.S , what are the pros and cons for each in regards or qualification obtained, programming languages learned , reputation for employers and the content?

Kindest Regards.
    As I said in the last thread....

System Software is good for developers. You are a year into the IT course now, just continue with it and you can do as much/ or as little programming as you want in your spare time. You get out of a degree what you put into it!

My advice for you would be to just continue on with what you are doing and just program! program! program! You have one year down now, why waste a year? Just finish the degree you are on and program in your spare time, if you go to an interview and you have a good portfolio you will get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Just switch to SSD rather than waste a year.

Just go to Linkedin and you will see how SSD and AC graduates generally end up working together anyway.

No employer is dumb enough to base someones programming skills on their course title rather than their github account and work experience.

Advertisement