Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car for _Kaiser_

Options
  • 14-05-2016 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in something of the same boat.

Currently driving a 05 A6 Quattro with the V6 3.0 TDI but realistically I'm probably going to have to change in the new year as insurance is starting to become an issue as it's "old", I do 1500km a week and she's already on 325,000 km, and of course there's the ridiculous tax bill....

But I'm looking at 08/9+ A6's and they're almost all 2.0 TDI FWD with very random specs - generally pretty low end too. Mine has pretty much everything and going to something basic would be annoying given how much driving I'd do. I've even considered an A8 purely because the base spec is higher. Must be diesel and automatic as well.

Ideally I'd like to trade what I have in (yes I know I'll get buttons even though she's running great :() with cash against something equivalent .. but I don't like BMWs and I love the size of the A6, both interior and exterior, as well as the logical simple control layouts. I've driven a few E-classes in my time but they seem like button-fests.

So, thoughts? Thinking around the €15k mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Currently driving a 05 A6 Quattro with the V6 3.0 TDI but realistically I'm probably going to have to change in the new year as insurance is starting to become an issue as it's "old", I do 1500km a week and she's already on 325,000 km, and of course there's the ridiculous tax bill....

But I'm looking at 08/9+ A6's and they're almost all 2.0 TDI FWD with very random specs - generally pretty low end too. Mine has pretty much everything and going to something basic would be annoying given how much driving I'd do. I've even considered an A8 purely because the base spec is higher. Must be diesel and automatic as well.

Ideally I'd like to trade what I have in (yes I know I'll get buttons even though she's running great :() with cash against something equivalent .. but I don't like BMWs and I love the size of the A6, both interior and exterior, as well as the logical simple control layouts. I've driven a few E-classes in my time but they seem like button-fests.

There's no issue finding A6s in a spec that matches or exceeds your current car. The problem is the budget is only going to give you the lower end options. If some part of the criteria was movable this, while similar, is a good choice.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A6/S-LINE-L/201114416258469860/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There's no issue finding A6s in a spec that matches or exceeds your current car. The problem is the budget is only going to give you the lower end options. If some part of the criteria was movable this, while similar, is a good choice.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A6/S-LINE-L/201114416258469860/advert?channel=CARS

I'd think the mileage is a bit low for a 07 no? The seats look a lot more worn than mine for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I'd think the mileage is a bit low for a 07 no? The seats look a lot more worn than mine for example.

My crystal ball is broken right now. It's more about example. You need to be flexible. No one is going to sell a properly sorted 09 A6 3l Quattro with all the bits for 15k or less. The UK might be a better option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A8 here, tax slightly cheaper at 1200 a year:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Audi/A8/3.0-TDi/201114622947368910/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from someone else's thread

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 108 ✭✭Shawn Michaels

What about a '09 Jaguar XF?

3.0 diesel, €750 tax...a beautiful car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604042607776/sort/pricedesc/radius/1500/make/citroen/model/c6/price-from/500/page/1/postcode/sw1a0aa/usedcars

Something like the above?

- Citroen C6 2.7 HDI.
    - Tax is €1200 so a bit cheaper
    - You'd have a nice 2009 landed here and all that for less than €15k.
    - All of them are high spec and uber comfortable from what I heard.
    - Personally love the looks.

These cars are different and much nicer imo than the mundane 520d that is a common as muck these days.

Aw my own thread .. cheers biko :)

166man: Not a fan of the looks unfortunately plus as I'd like to get something back on my current one (if possible) it'll have to be a trade-in rather an a straight deal/import.

THe XF is a possibility. I've seen them on the roads and think they look pretty good! For example: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/jaguar/xf/used-2009-jaguar-xf-3-0-diesel-lu-dublin-fpa-201609241540833

How do they compare to the A6 in terms of space though. I was looking at a few parked A4s yesterday and think they're tiny in the rear cabin vs my own (and I have a 4 year old with all his stuff to think of :))
    What about reliabilty? Anyone here have one?

bazz26 wrote: »
    A8 here, tax slightly cheaper at 1200 a year:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Audi/A8/3.0-TDi/201114622947368910/

Are A8s multitronic or DSG type box?

Augeo wrote: »
    Are A8s multitronic or DSG type box?

Those are tiptronic... I've been warned off the 2.0 auto versions as the multitronic is shyte. That kinda limits the options a bit as must be Auto.. either another 3.0 A6 or A8 or something back in the VW range (Passat/CC) with the DSG box

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

pablo128 wrote: »

Not bad except it's petrol and a private sale. Wouldn't work with the miles I do or the point that I'd be looking to trade-in (no interest in trying to shift a high mileage 3.0 TDI A6 on the old tax system privately).

Appreciate the link though.. food for thought as hadn't considered that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What about one of these? They come in auto :p

I know at least one person who owned one and liked them

Mitsubishi Mirage
    2001MitsubishiMirage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

Volvo s80 2.0 diesel on carzone dealer HB Dennis ..

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What about one of these? They come in auto :p

I know at least one person who owned one and liked them

Mitsubishi Mirage
    2001MitsubishiMirage.jpg

Actually had one years ago and it was a great car but no use to me now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Actually had one years ago and it was a great car but no use to me now :)

;);)

Hey all.

So the internal war still rages between whether to sit tight, or replace my A6 sooner rather than later.

Realistically, an equivalent 3L TDI with tiptronic and reasonable tax has to be 2012 onwards, and unless things will change much from a price perspective in January, I'd probably have to hold off another year.

So as I often do, I was browsing yesterday and came across this: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/passat-cc/used-2012-volkswagen-passat-cc-au-dublin-fpa-8302549034709298605
    Good spec, reasonable mileage I'd think for a 4.5 year old car, and affordable if financing with a deposit equivalent to valuations I've gotten for my A6 recently.

So here's the choices:

- If I trade in now, I don't have to worry about an NCT in January, or pay another 800-odd in motor tax (420 in September and December) between now and the end of the year. Insurance and running costs should decrease too

- If I wait till the new year/first quarter, a car like that becomes cheaper (or a 131 comes into budget) and I get the benefit of an expected (few grand) bonus to add to the deposit, lowering the repayments overall, but I'm out the above costs in the meantime

- Or do I hold onto the A6 till 2018 (by which time she'll have over 400k km) and hope that the insurance (which is already becoming an issue) doesn't bend me over too much next year, and then try to get the 2012 A6 at that stage?

What would you do? The CC is nice and I had a 06 DSG Passat happily for years as regulars here will know so I'm familiar with the basics, but an E-class or something equivalent could work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

I think you're over thinking a perceived potential insurance problem , which may or may not happen.

What specific evidence do you have to worry about the age of the car and insurance problems apart from heresay ?

Therefore I'd say sit tight.

Bigus wrote: »
    I think you're over thinking a perceived potential insurance problem , which may or may not happen.

What specific evidence do you have to worry about the age of the car and insurance problems apart from heresay ?

Therefore I'd say sit tight.

My insurance went from €600 to €1200 this year (although I got it down to €850 after negotiation and changing companies through my broker) and as part of that he ran it through their systems and many wouldn't even quote already.

I'd expect it to go up again next year as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

My insurance went from €600 to €1200 this year (although I got it down to €850 after negotiation and changing companies through my broker) and as part of that he ran it through their systems and many wouldn't even quote already.

I'd expect it to go up again next year as a result.

Fair enough ,

but age is only an issue if you need to shop around or the current new crowd try to ride you again.

Ask the broker to quote as early as possible with your current insurer, for the next period.
    I'd say holding out for 6 months will get you better value , especially when pcp cars start landing back in truckloads , combined with weak sterling imports.
    Plus you own at 325 k compared to 400k not going to be a massive difference , above a low value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Import it. Got a 3 series M Sport for 20k (total including everything), 3k less than i had an offer refused on for the same car in Ireland. And the import had 1/3rd of the mileage of the Irish one and came with a year BMW warranty. Im guessing I saved 5500. Didnt even have to view the car, just got it shipped. Soemone I know got a 131 A5 for under 20k total, from a dealer. And Euro up to 87p now, was 83p when I bought. Get exactly what you want to with great choice and try sell the current one to trade

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Import it. Got a 3 series M Sport for 20k (total including everything), 3k less than i had an offer refused on for the same car in Ireland. And the import had 1/3rd of the mileage of the Irish one and came with a year BMW warranty. Im guessing I saved 5500. Didnt even have to view the car, just got it shipped. Soemone I know got a 131 A5 for under 20k total, from a dealer. And Euro up to 87p now, was 83p when I bought. Get exactly what you want to with great choice and try sell the current one to trade

Importing one and selling mine wouldn't really work for me - preferably I want it all done in one deal you see as I can't be without a car in-between, nor can I afford to have 2 for a while :)

I'm tempted to go check out the CC I linked to above, or maybe this..

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mercedes-benz/e-class/used-2011-mercedes-benz-e-class-2-dublin-fpa-7012190384109860448

(Good friend just got an 07 S350 and while it's VERY nice, the diesel/newer version is out of budget and wouldn't save on the tax so maybe an E would do? :))

But how do you handle the "I'm thinking about changing to one of these (possibly your one) but not necessarily ready today to deal" approach when doing so? Don't want to come across as a time-waster either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

Not bad except it's petrol and a private sale. Wouldn't work with the miles I do or the point that I'd be looking to trade-in (no interest in trying to shift a high mileage 3.0 TDI A6 on the old tax system privately).

Appreciate the link though.. food for thought as hadn't considered that.

i am currently in the same boat as you for same reasons, so will share my findings so far...

CLS is terribly small inside, crammed and no leg space at the back (plus only 2 person can sit at the back, kids most likely). If you don't believe me stop at any dealership and try one. Was a massive disappointment for myself (especially seeing how big it is from outside)

Jaguar XF is smaller than A6 inside. very expensive parts

Citroen C6 is very big. Although I do understand your comment of wanting to get something back for a car after few years, well, I always wanted C6 since it appeared in market, thought the same, sure within few years ut will cost the same nothing as other citroens, never happened. Check the pricing.

S-class W221 is very nice but in Ireland you get poorly speced versions. besides, you need very deep pockets to keep it on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I know you said you didn't like BMW but a 730D would be a great place to sit in for 1500km a week.
    They have the bullet proof M57 engine also which is a 3L straight six.

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/7-Series/730-AUTO/201214660897771700/

Blazer wrote: »
    I know you said you didn't like BMW but a 730D would be a great place to sit in for 1500km a week.
    They have the bullet proof M57 engine also which is a 3L straight six.

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/7-Series/730-AUTO/201214660897771700/

I actually DO like the 7 series. Maybe it's the better proportions (to my eye anyway) and the rear end, but unfortunately that one still has €1200 tax which wouldn't save me enough.

What I need is (and I know it's probably impossible):

- Automatic
    - Diesel
    - New-ish (<6 years old)
    - Reasonable tax (5/600 annually max I'd say)
    - Comfortable and reliable for long motorway trips so decent power also
    - Well-equipped (you get very used to things like xenons, auto lights and wipers, auto dropping side mirrors when you stick it in reverse, and parking sensors very quickly) and "executive-y".. I like my big saloons :D

... for less than say 20 grand including trading-in my own for a few k.

The CC is probably the "sensible" choice, but I just don't know if the interior layout, and the loss of 100 horsies would annoy me too much. On the plus side I like the exterior, I had a 06 Passat for years so I'm familiar with the general idea of these, and a 12-reg would be good for maybe 7/8 years hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

How much is a fair trade in on your current car?

I know importing seems like a pain in the hole but with 86p sterling and the lack of 08~14 used luxury cars on the Irish market, it's probably the best option. You could save a few k off your budget and then have 3 weeks approx to get the current one sold privately and have that cover the vrt. Used 11~13 A6s seem to be very common and good value

Advertisement