Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on this tree pleas

Options
  • 15-05-2016 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

I planted these two pear trees I bought in Lidl in November 2015. Both trees didn't show any sign of growth up until a month ago when new growth appeared on the one on the left. It continues to leaf at low level as show in the picture taken today. My question is will I prune it to this height as there are no signs of growth further up. And will I give up completely on the one on the right as it is showing no signs of life at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I planted these two pear trees I bought in Lidl in November 2015. Both trees didn't show any sign of growth up until a month ago when new growth appeared on the one on the left. It continues to leaf at low level as show in the picture taken today. My question is will I prune it to this height as there are no signs of growth further up. And will I give up completely on the one on the right as it is showing no signs of life at all.

Quick question, the plant on the left, is the growth up to the graft only. My guess is that the growth is on the root stock and failed above it. If you look on the plant you will most probably find a graft, if this is the case I'd get rid of it and start again. If not prune it back to the growth and see what happens. If they were mine I'd dump them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

The new growth appeared as if it was splitting the bark and coming through if that makes any sense. It is spread evenly around the trunk and not just on one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

did you plant the graft below soil level? This might explain the unusual growth and yes I'd dump them.

Advertisement