Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Economics Marking Scheme for Market Structures?????

Options
  • 15-05-2016 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I saw somewhere today that at the "Economics Teachers Convention" they changed the marking scheme for market structures ie SPECS doesn't suffice anymore. Is this true and if so could you tell me what the new marking scheme requires?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The marking scheme for this year's exams will not be made available to the markers until the date of the conference in late June.

I'm not seeing any website for a National Association of Economics teachers, but perhaps ask the teacher in your school has there been changes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

What is SPECS??

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

luftmensch wrote: »
    What is SPECS??

SNP, Price/Output, Equilibrium, Costs, Scare Resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

First I'm hearing of any changes. Are you sure they will be implemented this year, or next? Seems like very short notice. :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A change like this would have to be communicated to schools by circular letter. I don't see any in the archive on examinations.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

I was told by a teacher at the Institute of Education (I'm only naming the school because it's part of their job to be on top of these sort of things) that SPECS won't suffice BUT I was at a revision course run by a chief advising examiner (there's only 2) and he never said anything about it being wrong, in fact SPECS was in his notes.

I would listen to the Chief Advising Examiner over a business trying to get customers to come to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 randomlad727

Has anyone got an update on this? Has it been verified? If you are asked to explain the short/ long run equilibrium position of a firm in a certain market structure, what else could you say besides SPECS?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

I asked my teacher today, who goes to all of the in-services and teacher conferences about economics. She said that she heard nothing about a change, and assured me that as long as a graph is well explained with clear reference to each point they cannot and will not mark anybody down. All they want to see is understanding, regardless of the system somebody uses.

Advertisement